Linking to the Category Collection template page from the Blog

Hi,

I’m trying to link to the Category Page from my blog post page, and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. It goes to a blank white page in a new tab.

Thinking > Blog Post 6 > MISC.

Best,

Nathan

https://webflow.com/design/flowglobemedia
https://preview.webflow.com/preview/flowglobemedia?preview=68cfbfda25786cb12e08e263487bbcaa

Here is my public share link: LINK
(how to access public share link)

Hi again,

I’m not sure if this is correct, however I think the way you’ve linked it isn’t the appropriate way - i.e. references to “CATEGORY”. I don’t think it works like that.

A work around I sometimes use is just to navigate to the desired category page/url and copy and paste this in via a CMS item, if that makes sense. Have the feeling that there’s a better way to do this, but may answer your question for the interim.

Cheers,
Dom

Hi @domin8tor,

I thought that if I did it that way, it would go to the correct category page and filter out the corresponding blogs.
If I link it to http://flowglobemedia.webflow.io/category/misc, it does go to the correct category, but it doesn’t filter out the blogs correctly.

Thoughts @cyberdave, @sabanna?

Hey @nathanphilsteele have you tried to utilize conditional visibility on your site to set which blog posts are showing when you click through to a certain collection? Conditional visibility | Webflow University

You can set a dynamic list to display all other related items except the current item on a collection template page? The category is another Collection Template so you would need to go and build out that page template.

Hi Waldo,

I really need someone to hold my hand here and really dig in with me…I already have a collection template so I’m not exactly sure what you are telling me to do. There’s not a video or specific documentation for this. Maybe something like the awesome little videos that @cyberdave makes would be awesome. Show me how to do it this time and I will be able to do it moving forward. There’s just no good documentation that I’ve been able to find.

If possible, I would really like to be able get this puppy published to the official domain tomorrow…I’m ready to make it happen! :smiley:

Best,

Nathan

Hey @nathanphilsteele thanks again for reaching out!

I’m here to help! My apologies for missing that you’re trying to link to the category template page:

1. You will need to go to your Blog Collection Template page
  2. Select the Category link
  3. Go to settings tab for the link
  4. Set that link to go to a dynamic page template for the current category (see the GIF above)

​Please let me know if this is helpful, if not, I’m happy to help further.

1 Like

Howdy @Waldo,

It’s still going to Designer when I click the category link. How do I get it to go to it’s specific category page dynamically? Meaning, if were on a DESIGN blog post, and I clicked the category link, then it would got to the dynamically created DESIGN category page with the correct corresponding posts.

Also, I had to get rid of the “Misc” condition because the other blog posts where missing the category link if the blog post wasn’t labeled as a MISC category, but one of the others.

• Click category link in the blog post in preview mode and see where it takes you.

I know this works dynamically…I’ve seen happen. I’m pretty sure mine was working at one point.

Best,

Nathan

Contemplating the thought that maybe it’s a bug? If so, what do I do about it?

Best,

Nathan