Feedback on the old structure of Webflow plans

just have some suggestion on the pricing of webflow. It’s an amazing app and i’m sure everyone (including me) is glad to pay for such an app. I’m still on trial and was about to pay but i feel so suffocated by the pricing structure.

Because of the limitations. For one, I won’t be using as much as 70 pages per website but the restrictions is just so frustrating to look at. There’s a constant pressure at the back of my mind, "what if there’s a website that needs more than 70 pages?

To be clear, i won’t be joining the pro plan but the personal plan, which make things worse.

And the 10 website limitation? That’s even worse. How cheap is storing pages on server these days? I have to delete the websites forever once i reached my limit. What if i need to make a change down the road? But infrequently? I can’t import back the website into webflow.

Which means, I’ll have to fork out another 20 bucks to store a few extra MB in webflow’s server.

I just want the tool and export function. I don’t need form submissions, CDN, host, custom domains.

Why not have unlimited pages and/or sites for pro? I’m sure a lot more people would join this way.

I came from a marketing background and I’m sure if you test this option out as a special promo, you would probably be shocked at the conversion rate.

Another way to solve this without changing the price structure is to give us the ability to archive the website or the ability to import into webflow.

Thank you for reading.

@RyanFuse agree somehow. the 10 website limit for personal plans is not good, if the professional plans are getting 50 website limit, i think @webflow should do something about the pricing and plans

usually websites with that many pages are sites that have a database backend to dynamically create those pages based on a template.

Webflow, in my own opinion, is the tool that revolutionizes how web designs get from the wireframe/research step to the prototype/mock up step very quickly.

As of now, Webflow is mainly a front-end design tool. It isn’t meant for large websites that dynamically creates pages.

BUT! If you need pages you create in webflow to be connected to a database back-end, you can easily export the HTML/CSS/JS code and import it into your own environment. Then, once you’re done with that project, just delete the website off of webflow and create a new one when you need to.

TL;DR - Webflow is like Dreamweaver and Photoshop put together with responsive design. It’s not (yet) the full function solution that can make every type of website under the sun.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies. I’m vacillating back and forth now between tools. Basically in a dilemma. Pro’s pricing is too expensive. While personal plan is affordable but very limiting. Especially the 10 website limit.

Do you have your own web host? If so, you can just continually export your code from webflow and FTP them up to it. So you’ll essentially have unlimited websites on webflow.

ya, maybe increase the limit a little bit. I understand they want folks to go for the Pro plans but the difference is huge (number of sites allowed, 10 vs 50)

and then if i need to make changes? i can’t import them back to webflow

Hi @RyanFuse thanks for testing out Webflow and for your feedback. We’re always reviewing our pricing model and thinking about making improvements. Your feedback gives us some good perspective and thoughts to think over.

The biggest issue with “deleting” completed sites is that there isn’t an import function to bring back a Webflow deleted export to be able to edit it again. I also don’t need the hosting, CDN, forms, or any of the other “fluff” as I manage my own servers and so it just becomes a giant waste of money.

Hosting, CDN, etc are all additional costs on top of our professional plans. You can use Webflow as a responsive web design tool to design and export HTML and CSS files without hosting.

Glad to get some feedback from the webflow team. I understand this is a hard decision and requires a lot of planning. Import must also not be a priority because it might affect profitability. (people might just leave Pro plan in droves for the personal plan)

But right now, there’s just too many variables in each plan. Keep it simple and maybe consumer won’t be burdened with choosing and not choose at all. I know i had the urge to just go back to wordpress and be done with this. But I want a static website for various reasons. (Which is not strong reasons, that’s why I’m hesitant to pay for WebFlow now)

Remove all the CDN, form submissions and etc out of the pricing plan - and do upsell, cross sell in checkout process. (This is more of a marketing feedback, not my complaints)

WebFlow has more fine controls and it’s static HTML site. That’s the only two advantage, for me, that WebFlow has over Wordpress to be honest. (speaking in terms of tools only, not ease of one click hosting)

TLDR; keep it simple please, and give more value for my dollar please.

@RyanFuse the advice that PixelGeek gave you is right on. Keep in mind what Webflow is made for. Templating, prototyping and brochure level sites. If you come from a marketing stand point you might be looking for turn and burn solutions which do not always translate to enterprise level solutions. If you are looking at 70 pages or more you should be looking into CMS like Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, Webmatrix. Look at a low level shared basic hosting solution that can accommodate your budget ($4 a month) and get familiar the with web world and what it takes. Too often starting web designer think they are a one stop shop that must operate at $0.00 overhead and take on more than what they can handle. Webflow makes web design look really EASY. So easy that it obfuscates the knowledge of all the different technologies taking place in the background (C#, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, PHP, SQL, Python, Ruby). There is no question that the value for the dollar is there. Webflow is one of many of the different technologies and design software I use in my career as a designer. I’m not a marketer but know enough that a none designer might have different needs from what its designed to do. Maybe your appeal should be that to create a different software altogether for your needs. In which case you should look at Artisteer for you solutions.

Thanks for the reply. I think I have a good idea of what webflow is meant for now. I’ve been trying to make webflow to do what it isn’t meant to do.

1 Like

@RyanFuse it seems like Webflow is a great solution for you, but the only thing that is holding you back is pricing. You’re looking for a code-free solution that’s still powerful. But you’re also looking for something that’s really inexpensive. That’s a tough spot to be in. There are several solutions out there for you. You can learn how to code and build a wordpress/joomla/drupal site. This solution gives you access to dynamic functionality, but it’s hard because you have to learn how to code. Other benefits are being able to handle your own hosting. You can also build a site with Weebly, Wix or Squarespace. They will let you build a site really easily, but you can’t customize how your site looks and feels like in Webflow (notably Responsive Websites).

I would disagree with @Jonas76 and @PixelGeek that Webflow is only for templating, prototyping, etc. In Webflow you can build pretty sophisticated production-ready websites from start to finish. Yes they are static (pages aren’t created dynamically based on a database) so it’s more cumbersome than just editing a database, but most of the websites on the web are just 2-10 page static sites. Setting up databases is pretty complex for most designers and marketers.

I’m just saying that no other tool out there gives you the customization power that Webflow gives without writing code. So it really depends on what kind of sites you are building and how much overhead you want to handle. Each solution has its benefits and costs. We try to price Webflow so that our customers will be saving a lot of money in the end and of course so that our business can grow (the more we grow the more awesome things we can build to make things even easier for people).

3 Likes

I came across as accusing webflow of not providing enough value, sorry. Webflow is valuable and is almost a perfect tool. For some it will be perfect.

I’m not confused or in a dilemma anymore. I know what value Webflow provides and where it fits in my workflow. Thanks for creating this tool.

I’ve been using wordpress and there are themes out there that is flexible enough that i won’t need to know how to code, actually. But of course, nothing beats Webflow for customisation. It’s the best and I’ve researched a ton.

I also need Webflow because HTML sites is lighter, easier to maintain and more secure. It’s perfect.

Thanks again.

@Jonas76 Thanks, not looking for cheap hosting, I have a VPS that I pay $50 a month. Not looking for cheap, just confused about the value, restrictions, and can’t fit in webflow into my current workflow.

@RyanFuse right on! My client currently relies heavily on responsive mock-ups. This tools is amazing for speed and presentation (because its truly production ready material).
@thesergie Was not trying to restrict the extensibility of Webflow in my explanation (although I may have unintentionally). The way Webflow is working currently is pretty much changing the face of web design as we know it, in every sense of the word.

I’m using Webflow both for 100% realistic mockups and presentation/demo websites which are later converted into WordPress template for clients (progammer uses webfow exported HTML/CSS/Images), as well as for websites which stay and exist completely in Webflow. Both perfect. But WordPress is holding me ( as a designer ) back a lot. Even with modern drag/drop themes.

Therefore I prefer the last, because it works perfect. Yes, currently it’s not perfect for most of my clients, but the clients who have a little knowledge of website structure, they can work in Webflow with some support from me. I’ve created many singlepage websites in webflow, but also created websites with up to 40 pages, all of them being updated directly in webflow.

One other thing. Last year I worked for 90% in Photoshop. Photoshop is not designed for webdesign. Especially not for responsive webdesign. It’s frustrating. That’s why I currently work only 5% in photoshop, and 95% in Webflow. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I think Webflow is hands-down the best responsive design tool, period. As soon as I tried the product, I immediately signed up for a monthly subscription even though I haven’t yet been earning money from using it. I see this as a small gesture to help support Sergie, Vlad and Bryant to evolve their product which in turn helps the design community. If I had money to invest in any company, it would be Webflow. I also just bought Sketch3, which I think will make a great complimentary (and affordable) part of my design workflow. Guys, let’s not forget, you can save money by not needing a Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc license, as well as weeks of learning how to code efficiently or paying a developer to convert your designs in the HTML 5 and CSS3.

I recently introduced this tool to a client who is currently saving a thousands of dollars because now they can prototype a responsive HTML5 product and not need to pay a developer by the day. In this respect, Webflow is a massive enabler.

Regarding the CMS comments. My dream for smaller websites, I would be to give clients the ability to sign into a Webflow site, where all they can do is update the text and images inline - then I wouldn’t really need Wordpress or Drupal with their cumbersome, over-complicated and outdated admin interface.

Sergie, Vlad and Bryant, keep up the great work. I’m really loving the new features that you are rolling out. I’m going to keep supporting you and advocating your product to the design community :smile:

4 Likes

I will second this motion. The pages per tier should be unlimited however I have thoughts on the whole subject because I <3 Webflow so please read this exposition.

Webflow is inheritantly a designers tool, which should not have limits precisely because a design tool shouldn’t feel limited, but this is just figurative speech, “designers will rule the world” mantra. Let’s discourse…

My motion

The Private User tier should cater to the average internet user based on common internet goals for websites. The general public on average should be able to build a few cool personal sites based on popular activities like: A private art gallery, portfolio, a world saving message, a sports fan page, a resume page. Typically a few but plenty of a reasons for the average user that feels incumbent to use the Private Tier. That settles me around a 5-10 website limit, - so what about the page count?

Pages based on these types of Private Tier websites are on the small side so the current 20 page limit is by far a comfortable condition. If a mechanism existed for the Private User at this Tier to occasionally unlock this 20 page limit then for a small fee like 3.99, let the website be unlocked. This is incredibly nifty to the private user.

The pricing march:

I would then split up the Pro grade tier to a Designer Level 1 tier and tier 2. The 1st tier represents the true entry point of the Webflow professional designer. This L1 designer can have up to 20 websites, with a high page limit built in, maybe 50, with the same ability to unlock unlimited pages on a specific website.

At this tier, the Teams feature should be able to be activated on basis for a nominal fee just like above, but very few users, (like 2 or 3 at most). Why does this make sense? Because it gives the L1 Designer a lot of confidence to begin a Webflow portfolio. He knows that his Tier1 is just right for his needs to start out and if something happens where a job gets bigger than expected, all he has to do is unlock the add-on for the site. Having the extra set of user will get him help, or customer assistance so his projects result in success no matter how you spin it.

From then on, L2, unlocks 50 websites, 10 users and unlimited everything else, and then offer this tier website activations at a fee, such as 100 more for cheap value $, etc, etc. Followed by Enterprise which is unlimited all.

In conclusion: With other cool stuff that I’m hearing through the grapevine that the Webflow team will venture to build for the designer, I have no doubt that the pricing will continue to evolve whether advice is taken now or later – I’m absolutely excited and wish this team all the best.

Thanks,

RJ Vela
@rvela82

PS @callmevlad – your blog post = outstanding

2 Likes

I moved 3 posts to a new topic: Firebase Possibilities