Put your art on our walls

Announcing the “Make It Pop” contest by Webflow.

We’re looking for one genius artist to bring a bland wall in Webflow HQ to vivid life. And hey, it could be you!

How it works
Just send your proposal to natalie (at) webflow.com before 8/31/16. (We’re not picky about format, so send us a sketch, mockup, whatever puts your bright idea in the best light.)

We’ll review proposals as a team, then pick a winner by 9/6/16.

Then, we’ll announce the winner on the Webflow Blog.

And then, we’ll bring the winning artist out to (not so) sunny SF to bring their vision to life.

Here’s the specs
27’ x 15’ (that’s 220 usable square feet!)

Here’s what you’ll get (if you win, of course)
1 free year of Webflow—all-inclusive. Cover your plan, hosting, whatever. It’s all free for one whole year.

Or a cash amount you propose as part of your submission.

Oh, and here’s the boring wall you could bring to life:

8 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Where are all the updates?

A post was split to a new topic: Improvements to the Asset Manager

Haha that’s great. I have a few questions.

Will you come up with more precise pictures (general view with staighten verticals and horizontal) and/or a template layout file? Are there any technique limitations? (vegetal wall, 3D and depth, giants screens, mapping projection system, a mix of everything…).

I’m just going to leave this here!

17 Likes

LOL. I wish I could vote for this one.

1 Like

I don’t have the art for you, but I can tell you that our SaaS app (whose website was built in webflow) will help you figure out exactly what you should put there, at what size. =)

5 Likes

Here is a few books of work, any of them can be transitioned into murals. If you can do this with a realistic budget, I can get it done. Let me know if there is anything in the books you like more than others and I can make a mock up of the room, and bring large works to your office so that you may see them first hand. We have about 100 pieces here in San Francisco awaiting the installation in Mazatlan Mexico.

https://issuu.com/simeongonzales/docs/libro_7-12_ngro_22222

https://issuu.com/simeongonzales/docs/libro_1_2_3_4_5_6

1 Like

I was holding my tongue on this, but cannot any longer.

What an absolute insult it is to hold a “design contest” with an award of $500 to the person you select. What about all the people who put in the hard work to enter your contest, only to not be selected? Clearly you do not value art, nor do you understand what it takes to create good art.

Here’s a better idea…find a few muralists who’s work you truely enjoy, and HIRE one to do the mural. And pay them well. (Hint, it’s more like $5,000, not $500).

Design contests are the absolute worst and you all should be ashamed for venturing into the territory, asking for free work from so many people.

PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THIS CONTEST IF YOU VALUE YOUR WORK.

8 Likes

Guys, guys… here we are a community, there’s no reason to get mad or to rush into conclusions…

@freshd I value my work and will enter the contest. Read it: you can enter with an idea, a mockup, a sketch, no need to actually do it entirely, just pitch your idea. of course they could get a muralist but read again, we here, as community members, we have a chance to pitch for it, get a nice trip and other few things. I’d be delighted…

@styledinthewild For the same reasons said above, they give a mural to… maybe… us. How fun is that? It’s unformal, they are not putting a silly inverse bidding site in place, it’s for a mural, interact with users… again, I’m sure it’s supposed to be fun, and personal.

@Chris_Scott your service is great, it’s in my book :wink:

6 Likes

With great respect for the Webflow staff, as I absolutely LOVE the product they have created and the support they give, I have to agree with the intent of ‘styleinthewild’ and ‘freshd,’ though maybe not with the ferocity and disdain with which they share their opinions.

I was an internationally exhibiting artist for a number of years back before the financial collapse of '08 (http://www.ianstrawn.com - definitively NOT a website developed in Webflow, it’s been a long time since I touched it). I painted murals, I painted large scale paintings, such a feat is a matter of days or weeks of work and hundreds of dollars of material costs - not to mention lost wages and opportunity cost of being away from the “dayjob” (graphic design in my case these days).

Certainly you are welcome to engage in such a contest. I wouldn’t say this is shameful, but perhaps misguided.

Certainly you will find someone willing to do it. Perhaps an artist will consider the effort worthy merely to get their work on the walls of Silicon Valley amongst so many wealthy potential buyers. But the quality of what you will get in return will either be questionable (even possibly damaging), or you will find yourself paying someone slave wages for the amount of time and effort they give you.

I agree with ‘freshd,’ I suggest you find an artist you like, and pay him or her the proper value of their work.

If a contest is what you are after to engage your audience, perhaps bring the cash prize out of the equation, and ask for mural concepts and their associated bids/costs from the artists - allow market forces to dictate the price. Maybe even put the final concepts (that both fall within your team’s taste and budget) to popular vote.

Of course, you are certainly welcome to do what you wish. All my respect.

5 Likes

What about to stick a big original print on this wall ?
It will be cheaper to achieve and will make sens with their price.

Removed the message as it is no longer a factor, thank you for taking all that was said as constructive criticism.

1 Like

I think Webflow’s point of this is to engage with its users and community. Using a contest as a platform for this encourages friendly competition. A contest is voluntary in nature, and as such I do not see how one can take offense to the announcement of one. It seems unnecessary to rant and rave about this.

What I see is: FREE trip to CA(not cheap), Networking opportunities (priceless), free webflow for a year (which is FAR more than $500 after hosting costs for just 3 sites), and a chance to influence the creators of an application I use everyday.

Seems like a sweet deal to me. But I am an optimist :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Felicitations for your first message in the community ! ; - )

1 Like

Thanks, Vincent! Kind of you to take notice.

1 Like

Maybe some kind of pixel art covering the entire wall made out of tiny pictures of all the community members, designers, featured projects of designers / community members…

With peoples consent ofcourse. :blush:

6 Likes

@freshd

What about all the people who put in the hard work to enter your contest, only to not be selected?

It’s a contest, only one person wins.

Here’s a better idea…find a few muralists who’s work you truely enjoy, and HIRE one to do the mural. And pay them well. (Hint, it’s more like $5,000, not $500).

I am pretty sure the point of this project is to get the community involved.

Design contests are the absolute worst

That is an opinion, where are your facts that these are the very worst?

asking for free work from so many people.

That’s not true, I recommend you read the whole post where you can get Webflow free for 1 year or $500.

PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THIS CONTEST IF YOU VALUE YOUR WORK.

This is a great way to practice and learn more graphic design for designers, I don’t see why you wouldn’t want to enter. None the less, if you do win you might even get benefits rather than doing personal work for yourself for free as another way of practice.

1 Like