[Resolved] Integration with Google Forms fails because Webflow doesn't allow dots in unique IDs

I have been trying to integrate google forms for the purpose of very basic data collection.

I have figured out this much. You need to do the following to get it work:

1. Add the google forms url to the action field, and add the id ss-form
  2. For each of the fields, obtain the id from your google form source. It is in the format: entry.xxxxxxxxxx, where x represents a number. Add this to the name field in the input setting and the unique id in general settings.

This is where the problem starts. Webflow doesn’t accept a dot in the unique id. It replaces the dot (.) with a dash(-) and that practically screws up the form submission. On exporting the website, and replacing the fields manually, the form submission works well.

The form redirects to the google sucess url. Am trying to get it to display a modal on the site itself.

@webflow, this is a deal breaker. Is it possible for webflow to allow dots in the unique ids to enable google form integration?

Anyone else got google forms working, do let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Bis

Hey @bdbaruah, we just pushed a change to allow dots/periods in unique IDs - can you refresh your designer and see if it works for you?

Thanks for the quick response. I just checked. I had to refresh the design page for the changes to be effective.

I can confirm that the periods are indeed maintained as required by google forms. The form is submitted as there is a time stamp on my spreadsheet. However the entries are not passed on. I will give it a try after some time again. I have noticed a lag between the changes made while publishing to the changes appearing on the browser. I did do a browser refresh.

As of now its not happening, but I have my fingers crossed.

I am impressed with your quick response. Hat tip to your team. Awesome product for non programmers like me.

You were right about the forms.

And the in the Form settings, enter in the action field the google form submission url.
eg: https://docs.google.com/a/orthodoc.co/forms/d/16G6_semKsW8mqfymdSno1wdXAmPkULYmJofnwT03QoE/formResponse
(That’s a fake url so don’t check it out)

The name of the input should have a period (.) and the id must have an underscore (_).

In the field Name enter like: entry.1569415754
And the field Unique ID like: entry_1569415754

This way I was able to get a simple form submission in google working. If you are working with custom domains you must uncheck the option - Requires login, so that the public can submit the form.

Google forms are very sensitive to the value that is submitted to the form. Just changing the case of the letter meant that the entry didn’t go through. Unfortunately all this verbatim copying had to be done manually as there is no way of changing the “value” attribute in webflow.

Now the webflow site is working with google forms. You can do it as well but by manually editing the html file.

Note - This can mess up your design as the warning says. And you will have to host the site elsewhere and not in webflow, which isn’t advisable as well. Otherwise why are you here in the first place?? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @bdbaruah,

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this process. Im just looking for a little bit more information.
Im confused about where you find the name and unique id numbers?

i.e.
In the field Name enter like: entry.1569415754
And the field Unique ID like: entry_1569415754

Where would I go about locating these?

Also, where do I find the option to “uncheck the option - Requires login” is this done through Google Forms or Webflow