Support for Bootstrap 3 Framework

They won’t, think about how they could make a business out of it… they can’t so they won’t.

Got it! Thanks

They won’t, think about how they could make a business out of it… they can’t so they won’t.

Well in previous posts they have stated that in the future they had planned to allow you to choose the framework (Bootstrap, Foundation or Webflow) you wanted to work in prior to creating a project and letting you go from there.

Hope to see that realized this year.

EDIT: Found the post

When we tackle frameworks it won’t be from in the export step, but in the create-a-new-site step. It’s a lot easier for a new project to start with a framework (you choose which framework you are working with when creating a new site) than somehow convert current classes to fit the styles of other frameworks. Bootstrap and Foundation grid structures behave very differently so it’s not easy to “just convert” your site to another framework because it may break the whole layout.

We are considering these things and hoping to build out this kind of functionality. But it’s farther down the road. For now you can find and replace all classes in the webflow.css and your exported site’s css to remove “w-” classes.

1 Like

I bet you’ll see nothing and they regret saying too many things (: Once again, I see no benefit for Webflow to become a BS editor, at all. And even if it was still in the scope “down the road”, there are so many evident things up the hill that I wouldn’t expect this to come anytime soon. Easily enough time for Bootstrap being replaced by something cooler.

Thanks for this. Glad to see some hope here. =) I guess we have to wait and see.

there’s always work arounds? the output is in divs with css,

you can use that inside bootstrap html :man_with_turban:

For about a month… I’ve been testing

• manually changing the webflow classes to bootstrap

mostly works but interactions are shot though.

So - in testing - I’ve made plain vanilla projects with no interactions
and trying to convert the project to bootstrap.

Any news regarding bootstrap on webflow? :smile:

So Bootstrap Support is also on my wishlist :smiley: The reason is simple: I’m using [Meteor][1] and there are so many UI things that you can just use plug & play like [meteor-autoform][2].

I’m sure this is still the case if you’re not using Meteor :wink:
[1]: http://meteor.com
[2]: GitHub - Meteor-Community-Packages/meteor-autoform: AutoForm is a Meteor package that adds UI components and helpers to easily create basic forms with automatic insert and update events, and automatic reactive validation.

1 Like

Hi guys, I was wondering if it would be a possibility to have an option to switch to Twitter Bootstrap?

Webflow is intended to be used “side-by-side” with Bootstrap or Foundation.

See also

PS: @FvG, I’m also a Meteor developer. Webflow isn’t really made to build web apps with; rather, websites. I’ve used Webix and MateralizeCSS with relative success.

Time for a flexbox-based grid, which Webflow doesn’t use, probably because of the ~2% of market share that IE versions without full flexbox support still have.

Otherwise, there are Bootstrap editors: DivShot, StackHive, Brix.io.

And Flexbox is a bit complicated, there are a lot of parameters. It would be fantastic in a graphical environment like Webflow.

1 Like

If you are using Meteor (or whatever), and self-hosting, and want to utilize Bootstrap with a Webflow design, just include the Bootstrap CSS and JS.

Webflow is namespaced, so there is no reason why you can’t design in Webhook and bolt Bootstrap onto the self-hosted site without fear of collisions.

If your developers “require” Bootstrap – design around them in Webflow. Give them an empty div with a new class called “you-guys-should-know-how-to-deal-with-this-anyway” and tell them to plop their Boostrap/Meteor code there.

:smile:

-Dave

@dkenzik: That would surely work, however I’d prefer to have bootstrap components we could build on using Webflow.

I am also looking forward for this feature :slight_smile:

Yes please :). Being able to use other frameworks would be awesome as it would be easier to work with developers and would open up webflow to not just being a site builder but also more complex web app builder.

You can still build web apps with it and export great looking code as suggested by @dkenzik . It’s just not ideal to have different css files for webflow classes.

1 Like

My problem is that webflow’s framework is mostly unknown to my clients and they will prefer to use more known frameworks such as bootstrap, foundation, etc. This is of course makes webflow totally useless for me in most cases, which is quite sad considering that it is such a powerful tool. Damn it! I would pay for this feature :frowning:

Hopefully they’ll add this, because this would make webflow a lot more flexible.

I would focus more on educating your clients what a CSS framework is in the first place. There is no hard and fast requirement to use Bootstrap or Foundation. If your client is savvy enough to understand the differences between those frameworks and what they’re used for, then they should easily be able to understand the benefits of Webflow in the first place.

The problem with Bootstrap & Foundation is that they are highly opinionated. The great thing about Webflow is that you get to make up your own mind on how things work.

Also, given the technical complexities (and the marginal benefit), I doubt we’ll see the option of a framework choice ever and I wouldn’t begrudge Webflow for that at all. If they were to offer a framework choice, then they would be overwhelmed with people complaining that they didn’t choose X over Y framework.

That being said, Bourbon, for export. :wink: