Wordpress Plugin for webflow

Got it! Sorry for the confusion.

No worries. except for about an additional layer of security :grinning: And that’s probably because I’m so use to Wordpress that it has to be a concern.

Simple answer. No.

Here’s why:

If this CMS-functionality eventually will be implemented, the negative effects of VLI will be less lower. :smile:

I didn’t know this term, very useful (:

I’m not sure I get what you imply… Do you realize that, if Webflow comes with a CMS feature, it will work only on Webflow hosting, and not for exported websites, hence increasing the VLI on Webflow? I’m not sure about that, but I would be really surprised if if wasn’t true. Other than the aspect that makes a very good revenue leverage, it’s just that it would be very difficult for anyone to export such a CMS. You can easily install WP anywhere because PHP/MSQL is anywhere. I don’t know what WF uses but imagine Angular+MongoDB, it’s not so easy to find a host and to setup it.

1 Like

Thanks community for the enlightenment. If webflow is doing the way of a CMS, my questions now are;

1. Are we going to be able to plug in any external application/software we want to expand functionality like WP and Joomla?
  2. Are We still going to have the simple and easy to use interface We have now?
    Thank you guys for putting up with me. :wink:

True. VLI grows with CMS functionality. And it does so big time, as you point out.

What i meant is that the negative effect now of “just” being a design tool and nothing else, makes that additional functionality that is so desired (CMS) makes that WF can be a solution in more situations. In my opinion, much more people would like CMS integration than people would want to export/move their CMS. WF has already proven to be a reliable hoster, if it can do so for its own CMS it saves me all the trouble of setting up (AND! maintaining) an IT architecture.

I think about thos everytime someone talks about the CMS features, and you’re almost the first one to open the discussion. When I look at every WP project I have worked with, they all rely on some indispensable plugins. Every client wants a feature that you can only achieve with a plugin. There’s at least one plugin on every wp site I have. So after the CSM features, It probable we’ll see a surge in feature requests.

You may be right. If it wasn’t the case, the forum should have been overflown with people facing the export bug this week (it’s fixed now)

1 Like

A CMS would be nice but it would be great if it was somehow optional or a minor version (doesn’t need tags, categories, authors, dates, versions, etc). Although a great platform, Wordpress or any CMS is more maintenance work than what many clients need. One of the things I feel like I’m always working against is duplicate+ content…install Wordpress…install SEO tool to turn on no follow for archives, etc.

As far as plugins go, in WebFlow creating a custom effect is fairly easy as long as you have a good design/structure plan going into the project. Things like adding event calendars or such would probably still be needed. Maybe those could be handled as add-in modules or external pieces that integrate via embed.

I would love Webflow to host my sites, be a CMS platform, have email plans and more add-in modules as @jdesign have pointed earlier.

It’s actually not that difficult to roll your own WordPress site from an export–I was able to put together a site using exported Webflow code, the Genesis framework(with child theme) and Advanced Custom Fields to handle non-loop content–although I’ve also played around with what a UI for incorporating WordPress into Webflow would look like, because I’m a nerd like that :smiley:

A custom CMS would solve a few problems, but the one thing they won’t be able to leverage is something WordPress has spent 10 years building: a huge global community that has developed thousands of plugins. If I want to use ecommerce, I can choose from four or five options. Same thing with membership sites. I can use a plugin to split test everything from themes to page titles.

That’s also why it would be so bloody hard to create a WP to Webflow port–the options are infinite and constantly evolving. How do you manage anything outside of core when the functionality is created by hundreds of open-source contributors, plugin authors and theme developers? It would be a massive undertaking.

For me, I’m probably going to continue using Webflow to build custom sites for clients and manage the WordPress conversion manually–sort of like a PSD-to-WP service, but I get to start with valid HTML, CSS and JS :smiley:

Funny thing. I asked my usual PSD-to-Wordpress slicer what a simple WF-export to Wordpress site would cost. His estimate: € 1200 - € 1400, whilst as PSD-to-Wordpress from the same site would be around € 800.

His argument: Too much (unnecessary) code that he had to get rid of.

Can’t speak for him, but I’m a copy/paste coder and was able to get it cranked out in under two days–and that includes the learning curve and several Google searches, lol!

Webflow has definitely been a better tool for me as I’ve transitioned to a more agile design process. May mean a little CSS cleanup, but the ability to use the same tool to wireframe, prototype and design a site, as well as get me 80% of the way to a complete WordPress theme more than makes up for it :smiley:

2 Likes

Exact problem I’m having. I’m wondering what that extra code is, and how detrimental it is to the structure/function of the site. Maybe your developer is a purist and only starts from scratch?

I have two developers who do not want me to design in Webflow. Seems insane to me. One suggested I go back and rebuild in Photoshop! :no_mouth: I thought using Webflow would speed things up AND save me money with my outside vendors. Not the case with these two. I’m choosing to no longer work with them unless they’re coming to me for design, and then I have to use the dreaded Photoshmop.

I’ve been very careful to build my Webflow sites with sound structure and consistent style naming. Keeping it super clean. Can’t understand why a developer would frown upon this method. Seems like they could at least use the stylesheet. Maybe they’re not open to new workflows or maybe they’re purists at heart. Whatever the case, they’re totally against Webflow. Annoying.

Same here. There are many ways to do so if we scan this forum:

Chris (@ci_chrisford) uses the Genesis Framework with template
@joeyocaro Does it himself [quote=“joeyocaro, post:6, topic:9245, full:true”]
Just enqueue the scripts. This is how I did mine:http://www.sourcepod.com/vsjjzy96-65438
[/quote]

and @pingram3541 made a tutorial for Wordpress with Ultimatum:

I don’t mind manual coding, as I prefer that over learning another page builder tool, but the where and how to put things is something to be discovered…

Ok, you guys all got me pumped. I think I can put something together than will give some basic tips on getting an export running in WordPress with a basic loop, headers, footers and a sidebar…without a framework dependency and can be setup in under an hour. I’ll post back when its up.

5 Likes

This will be great. I can’t wait to see you get through this…

Until we have that magic tool or CMS feature set…

3 Likes

Webflow CMS! This is a wish come true. CMS AT LAST! But you know you can’t bring the cms without plugins (if not any, at least a wp plug).

My journey searching for near zero time to deploy CMS as taking me wide and far. I found one which is exceptional but not like webflow where nothing is hidden in the background.
Something of the kind of first love thing will keep pulling me back home.

Here comes the long awaited Webflow CMS To bring me back home. Home sweet home…

2 Likes