Ability to use Camel Case in css for Webflow published sites and exports

I work with Webflow to style elements like forms for systems like Marketo.

It’s important for Webflow to allow me to put capitals in my class names because I don’t control these names, it’s on my client’s server, or at Marketo’s.

See their code : http://cl.ly/image/1M1x2A070O1b

I read that class and ID names are case sensitive since HTML 4.01.

1 Like

I have the same problem.

2 Likes

Hi, currently all class names are made lowercase automatically in webflow, so you need to change your external css files to use all lowercase class names. Also, if you use any javascript that references class names, they also need to be made lowercase.

That’s what I did, but I lose the great benefit of being able to update my work later on without having to uppercase letters again.

Actually, Webflow keeps class names the way I type them. Only at export will the uppercase character disappear. So I hope it will evolve the right way and use what I typed.

Hey @vincent is it usually camel case classes that are required in your situation? Like .classOther? If that’s the case we might be able to let those pass as we clean up the code on export.

3 Likes

It’s exactly that thesergie as you can see here http://cl.ly/image/1M1x2A070O1b
Didn’t know about the “Camel” name, everyday I learn!

and then, great news !!

because webflow already retain the caps

How can I activate support for camel case classes?

@collaboratory Currently we don’t have that support, but we have on our to-do to support camel case. So if you type a class like “myCamelCase” then that’s what it will be in the css on publish or export. This is what will happen:

Class in Webflow > class-in-css

My Class > .my-class
MyClass > .myClass
myClass > .myClass
my Class > .my-class

Is that how you’d expect it to work @vincent and @gosselin07

1 Like

Hi @thesergie, have the rules for camelCase been implemented?

Hi,

Any update on the camelcase issue as it would help me immensely not to have to change the css after export.

We haven’t implemented this yet, sorry! Trying to get feedback on my reply to see if that’s expected behavior. @vincent @gosselin07 is that how you’d expect it to work as well?

Actually not really. I expect it to export exactly what I enter, because when I need it it’s because I don’t control it. I have to make my markup/CSS the way a coder somewhere has decided it would be. So I could have to create a “MyNeWcLaSs” class and need WF to respect the case even if it’s not academic.

Webflow designer already retains anything you type.

On second though, I described a situation that I hate facing and when it happens, it’s never ideal to style with WF even if you manage to respect the class names. And the result is always crappy, can’t be fine tuned. So it’s not worth making WF compatible with this.

I’ve recently been able to use WF forms for Mailchimp, Salesforce with great looking results, so that’s what matters.