Now streaming live

ADA Compliance Help

Hey, everyone! Anybody have any clues about how to give my nav items and the dropdown items a tab index and actually have it work with a screen reader? Having some issues with it. I would appreciate any help you could provide!!!

Anyone??? I have switched all the HTML 5 tags to nav like they should be, but dropdowns are ignored by the screen reader. I’d really appreciate some help if there are any experts out there! @PixelGeek - any ideas??

@vincent you have any experience on this front?

Yes, sir! My one issue is that the screen reader is skipping the dropdowns in the nav.

I thought you were asking me. Lol. My bad. I’ve hand coded them before - just struggling to get the webflow menu compliant. I may just hand code with an HTML embed and come back and try to figure out how to do it in the designer. If I get that far, I’ll share what I learn.

Haha. Sorry about that Riley. Accessibility is one of my big interests in the web design world, but I haven’t worked on this particular issue you’re having. Just know Vincent has dug around in this corner a fair bit. :slight_smile:

Sorry for the confusion and good luck! I’ll be keeping an eye out.

Thanks, @jmw! I appreciate it! And no worries, I completely understand.

@jmw I think Webflow needs to make their components accessible by default since we need to know JS and CSS to remove and add labels.
Maybe Sara Soueidan can help to bring a solid solution to Webflow :grin:

I don’t disagree, sir. Pretty sure we’d all be pretty psyched to work with Sara! :smiley:

I do a lot of work for schools and government entities and having this built into Webflow would be AMAZING! Maybe I need to head on over to the Wish List and add it!

:pensive: Accessibility it’s not a popular request for the webflow community!
https://wishlist.webflow.com/ideas/WEBFLOW-I-862

I haven’t seen @vincent around for a while.

I think he made a couple million francs and went on vacation.

LOL. Here’s hoping that’s exactly what happened. :slight_smile:

That’s a bummer. It’s such a big deal. we want our sites to look good and function for everyone! I’ll just keep hoping that this get’s integrated. Until, then I’m happy to work around it!

This topic was automatically closed 125 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.