Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Adding non-breaking spaces to CMS text

My client has gone live with their site and wanted to lengthen their description on one of their products. Because I have this setup via CMS, it is calling text from the collection fields.

I was wondering if there was any way to add formatting to the text as it doesn’t seem to detect HTML and isn’t responding to <br> or &nbsp; - I’ve also tried making this text Rich Text to see if that would help but it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

Is it possible?

Here is my site Read-Only

1 Like

Hi Joseph,

I am not entirely sure what you are trying to accomplish, but I just posted about mixing non-breaking spaces (Shift + Space) with CMS content and maybe it will be helpful: link to post.

Also, there is another topic here that mentions the use of Ctrl + Enter to force a line break.

If that doesn’t answer your question, could you please give more details about what you are trying to do?

EDIT: After some playing around with plain text CMS fields, it looks like they strip all Shift + Space and Shift + Enter characters once you save, and Ctrl + Enter doesn’t work at all. So please disregard my above solution. According to this page using a Rich-Text field is the only known workaround at this time.

I’ve tried Rich-Text and using the line break codes in a Rich-Text field and that doesn’t seem to apply on the front end either unfortunately. :frowning:

Which part of the site specifically are you trying to fix? Is it the long text here?

Are you using a Rich-Text block to dynamically insert Rich-Text content into? Have you tried using Ctrl + Enter or just Enter to insert line breaks? It seems to work on my end.

Well I’m a goof. I was using code for my spaces rather than simply using Shift-Enter & Ctrl-Enter. That worked a treat. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Because this thread is the first result on Google, I thought I should share: this failure to respect non-breaking spaces in CMS’ Plain Text field is a well-known limitation of Webflow CMS, unfortunately.

A feature request has sat in Webflow Wishlist for 821 days, unfortunately. Please add votes, if possible:

https://wishlist.webflow.com/ideas/WEBFLOW-I-1133

As a follow-up, the CMS Rich Text workaround is not a useful workaround. The CMS Plain Text field is infinitely more versatile than the restrictive, limited Rich Text Field:

• Plain Text can be used directly inside Link Blocks (!)
  • Plain Text can be infinitely customized with CSS; the Rich Text block has zero typography adjustments, for example

Non-breaking spaces are respected everywhere else in the Designer seemingly, except the required Plain Text Title for every CMS item? Come now, Webflow: these little bugs always begin to pile up until it’s 2023 and this finally gets patched.

We found a workaround for the above use case because, luckily, the arrow symbol is repeated across each link: another inline block that contains 1) a non-breaking space and 2) the symbol. It seems non-breaking spaces are respected across divs.

Still, Webflow should get this fixed. Because non-breaking spaces work everywhere else through the Designer, I’m half-sure it’s a bug and not intended behavior (i.e., feels more like an overly aggressive input sanitization step).