Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Advantage of using the Container Element

I’m confused about the advantage of using the Container Element, as opposed to just using a div block and making a class called “Container” with “Width” set to 940 pixels and “Max” set to 90%.

It seems to me that the only difference is that the Container Element locks you into a width of 940 pixels, whereas using a div gives you everything that the Container Element gives you, plus the ability to customize the width to your taste and the ability change your mind later.

Is there a beneficial aspect or feature of the Container Element instead of such a div that I’m unaware of?

Hi @Chuck_Braman the container element is a pre-styled element to help streamline your design process. If you need to customize the width of your elements, I would suggest using a basic DIV block instead. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps.

Thanks @PixelGeek,

Yes, thanks, that answers my question. It just seems odd to me as a new user; most of the elements seem to add either sophisticated or essential functionality. The Container element seems to just add a limitation and doesn’t really seem to streamline the process very noticably. I’m not complaining, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything.

Hi @Chuck_Braman

Essentially it’s a quick way to place a centred div with some space around it without needing to style - it’s situated in the layout/basics area as it’s a building block rather than a sophisticated function.

In the early days of using Webflow or when needing to get an idea on canvas quickly it streamlines things there - but as you note, once you find your way around, you can quickly create your own custom version instead…such is the :webflow_heart:ebflow Power :slightly_smiling_face: