Streaming live at 10am (PST)

All symbols are tagged universally?

Here's the share link to the project in question:
https://preview.webflow.com/preview/electronicoffice?preview=80f16336c1899f764cba09080820c38e

I have my nav bar and footer set up as symbols to allow universal editing across all pages. I usually tag these elements in settings as "Nav" and "Footer" using the dropdown in their respective setting panels. Noticing that if I assign my nav bar symbol as "Nav", all other symbols in my site change to "Nav". If I double click into the symbol and try to assign the tag there, I lose the dropdown option to select these common types. Is there a conflict with they way I'm trying to do this. Is the alternative to assign the tag in the custom attributes field?

Many thanks.

I don't think so. Tagging a div as footr will give the code <footer ...>. Adding a custom attribute will do something like <div name=value ...>

At the moment if I try to give Nav to your nav symbol it takes it, but as soon as I select elsewhere, it loses it.

However, your footer seems to retain its footer tag.

So your navbar is:

<div class="w-nav navbar" data-collapse="medium" data-animation="default" data-duration="400"><a class="w-nav-brand w--current" href="/">

and your footer is:

<footer class="w-section footer-section"><div class="w-container footer-container">

I thought that when you use a Webflow Navbar widget, it will deal with the tags for you even if it's turned to a symbol.

look what the codes turns to when you drag a div, put your navbar symbol in it and give the div the nav tag:

<nav><div class="w-nav navbar" data-collapse="medium" data-animation="default" data-duration="400">...</div></nav>

If you look at webflows' UI, you have 2 nav elements, but in the code only the outer div, that's outside the symbol, gets the <nav> element:

I tend to put symbols into containers, and to put a container for anything inside the symbol too, so I never have to style the element that's turned to the symbol.

Maybe you're facing a but because you've been manipulating the navbar a lot during design. now that you know what you want, try to redo it from scratch and check in the exported code when the navbar tends to lose its <nav> tag.

Edit: I've never checked that before. Webflow gives the nav tag to a lower element, the actual container of nav links.

I was under the idea that the nav element should be placed to the uppest parent, under the body, and there's no reason for that. http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_nav.asp

So at the moment, your nav element is there, your footer is too.

And your search bar has no tag I think.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.