Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Any known workarounds for nesting collections? Need to show tags in cards

I just ran into the limitation for nesting dynamic lists inside each other. This is killing me!

My client needs a landing page with a dynamic list of project cards. In each card, I need to show associated tags for the project (which is another collection, connected to projects with a multi-reference field).

Essentially this is what I need to accomplish:

Are there any known workarounds to do this?

Hi @helmsmith,
Yes, this is a pain. According to this page it is not possible at the moment:

At the moment, you can show multi-reference field values only on a Collection page, and not within a Collection list. Support for nested Collection lists is planned. Vote for and subscribe to status updates of this feature request.
https://university.webflow.com/article/multi-reference-field

I’m wondering if you can solve this by using custom coding (jQuery), adding invisible collection list with the tags and somehow make the relation, but I doubt that this approach will succeed.

You will probably end up adding the tags in a separate text field as well, besides the multi-reference field. Maybe you can automate this process with Zapier, but I’m not sure if you can trigger a Webflow event into another Webflow event (when project item = published, update the extra tag text field with multi-reference tag input)…

Sorry for my thinking out load method as a reply. I’m curious though how this can be solved.

How many tags do you have for each project? If its many My work around this ots not a good solution

each project could have up to 5-7 tags potentially, though i’d be glad to limit it to 3 or so on the landing page if that helps with the workaround

The you have to create 3 Fields using referense not multi reference. Then the data can be displayed. Multi reference only works for filtering