Anyone else missing the up/down arrows in the Style Tab?

At first I was a bit annoyed, but I think it cleans up the UI in a good way. The keyboard will always be more accurate and I think it’s better for me in the long run.

2 Likes

For me, it makes sense working like in Illustrator, Photoshop and After Effects — arrows to edit values, shift key to multiply amount. It seems natural to me :slight_smile: Less is more, and the old UI was a little clunky, I felt

But could you not go straight to the arrow keys before the arrows were removed?? I’m tryng to understand the benefit of removing the arrows…is it just for a cleaner ‘less cluttered’ look? If so, have a toggle option on the designer. Seems like a simple fix…especially if your using Webflow to create the toggle interaction! LOL!

@md673 @adiggy @energidesign …I’m just curious, how long have you been designing and developing websites, and how well do you know code?
Also, were the arrows an inconvenience that you noticed, or do you just now realize that you like the cleaner look?
Thank in advance.
-Jay

I’m not sure I understand the accuracy complaint – its never been a problem for me to hit the right arrow and certainly not so bad vs the need to click in the field then move to the arrow keys.

@energidesign My latest versions of adobe tools often have incremental arrows – photoshop doesn’t, though has hover-drag instead (ie. another option than arrow keys):

I have more understanding for the less-cluttered argument – what about how sketch does it?

For me the long and short of it is that these methods of trying or nudging values are designer-friendly – they suit people who ‘eye-ball’ stuff to get it right. The arrow key method for this is certainly not the end of the word, but I don’t think they can be considered a standard practise by design tool standards (it definitely a ‘hidden’ feature). Where more sophisticated methods of scaling and moving do not exist and particularly for the smaller nudges that suit web design, I for one found the arrows useful.

1 Like

Hey Jay,
I’ve been designing for almost 30 years, with a solid decade or so on website design and development.
The arrows weren’t an inconvenience for me, but I certainly appreciate the lack of them and a cleaner UI within which to work.
@matt50 yes I see the apps have the arrows, but I rarely use them. I’ve long been a fan of the hover-drag (which does feature somewhat in Webflow, such as in the Margin and Padding area, and would be very useful elsewhere), but I do like just clicking a value and using the arrow/shift-arrow combination. A personal thing, I guess.

1 Like

Ditto - 30+ years (I’m old now) …

I like arrows - faster workflow for sure - and they present correct (best) UI for new folks. Arrows indicate ‘adjustability’ … No Arrows or No Indicators (arrows) leave the user wondering if they need to type in the number. Currently, UI usage in this area must be learned instead of being intuitive. New users are left to wonder.

With that said, because of the increased complexity of the UI (because of all of the awesome capabilities), I believe Webflow should strongly consider offering a System Preferences panel soon where we can set options (like show arrows, don’t show arrows) to our heart’s delight. Support ‘saved / named’ setting groups - ie; ‘Expert’, “New to Webflow”, etc.

Yes, the method of changing margin and padding was one of the little strokes of genius that drew me to webflow in the first place.

I think it’s the fact that there is only the keyboard method now (which, it must be said, is entirely hidden to those that don’t know the technique or convention).

Agreed! (and probably what ‘preferences’ were invented for!).

There will be the period of mild annoyance and mourning for folks like me, but we’ll get used to it…

1 Like

Dude, what gives? If you’re so terribly unhappy with Webflow, why stick around? Your comment isn’t constructive at all, let alone helpful.

C’mon. Be positive and helpful or please refrain. You didn’t even respond to the original question. You just ranted. =[

1 Like

Ok people, there can be many opinions about hiding the increment arrows.
But why not to put the hide/show option in the account settings?

2 Likes

bumpity bump bump…did someone say bump?

I am totally agree with all my hands and legs!

…just insert the cursor in the text field and use keybord arrows. With one hand :wink:

Matěj Hlaváček
+420 775 930 994

2 Likes

Thanks @tomatej Yes, this is what we have to do now - but this means taking my hand off the mouse all the time, which I don’t like either. Especially, 1000 times a day! It’s a personal preference I guess! Personally, I liked being able to leave my hand on the mouse to make these changes. In simple terms, there is now more hand movement involved with using Webflow, and when using Webflow everyday, ergonomically, this is a big change and a backward step for me.

2 Likes

Webflow needs this Numscrubber.js | Let's change values of input numbers by dragging the mouse left & right

6 Likes

+1 for this idea, would be a very nice touch

1 Like

Nice!

(Post must be at least 20 characters)

Wow! You are really pressing those keyboard arrows =D

left arm? (sorry, I am a bad person) :sunglasses:

40 replies and no feedback from the webflow team yet…

…booooo :cold_sweat:

1 Like