API Rate Limit inconsistency

My observation over the last few years is that Webflow has little interest in supporting developers. I guess designers, not developers, are their target market and therefore they focus their energy where they will get the biggest bang for buck. This is an understandable business decision.

However this still doesn’t change the fact that working with the CMS API is a frustrating experience. There seems to be no appetite to improve it either. Their JS API wrapper library hasn’t had a meaningful commit in 3 years and open issues on the library go ignored. I have seen pull requests where community members have taken the time to add functionality which go ignored.

I’ve worked on a few projects that required integration with the CMS API. I learnt my lesson, and now categorically advise against touching the CMS API when anyone asks me. It’s just not worth the pain when there are so many other developer friendly platforms out there.

I do hope to see Webflow shift to supporting developers in a more meaningful way. Making it easier to integrate and develop with Webflow would win over more of the tech guys within teams and lead to increased adoption IMO. This would only benefit Webflow.

Just my 2 cents.

9 Likes