Background video isn't working on published site due to Chrome 66 update

The title is pretty self-explanatory. I tried clearing my cache and using an incognito window. Also had some other people try it but no luck. The video is supposed to play and then after 15 seconds fade to just show the text. Any suggestions?

Published site: https://www.themcoins.io/

Here is my site Read-Only: https://preview.webflow.com/preview/millenial?preview=95738314e23138d35baa9f1db9dba69e

1 Like

Hey @PHRyan, works perfectly here.
I got the video, then the fade and the text.
Did you solved it ?
What browser are you using ?
Try to load your site on incognito mode, don’t clear your cache manually.
Hope this helps,

Chrome and incognito still didn’t work

Seems to be working for me:
CloudApp

What version of Chrome are you using?

V66 on Windows 10. It is working on Safari but not on Chrome for me on Windows or my buddy on MacOS

@PHRyan @PixelGeek V66 here too and still working fine :thinking:

Random ideas :

What is your internet ping ?
Do you use extra chrome extensions ? Which one ?
Are you on a regular network or a company network ?
Where are you located ?

Ping: 22
Extensions: AdBlock, Grammarly, Honey, Font Ninja, Webflow Chome Extension, Color Zilla
Company network but no restrictions on it
Syracuse, NY

Hi @PHRyan, I was checking and it seems on the published site Chrome version 65 is working but version 66 under Windows 10 seems to not display the video. It might be some new change was introduced in version 66 by Google: Google starts blocking annoying autoplay videos in Chrome - The Verge

This means, you may have to re-encode the video without sound, then upload to Webflow.

I would try that next.

I’ll give it a shot!

This seemed to do the trick thanks a lot!

1 Like

@PHRyan, in addition, our team is looking into this new behavior in Chrome to see what we can do to help address this change. More update as info is available. Thanks for reporting this.

No problem glad to hear it! I try to help as much as I can on these forums and it’s refreshing to know that if I have a problem of my own there are so many people willing to help me!

1 Like

I have this issue on a site too. These autoplay video headers are grief.

Hi @HammerOz, @PHRyan, we are taking a look these reports of bg videos not working and helping to get this resolved. An update will be shared as soon as there is some new info to report.

I know it can be frustrating when things do not work as expected, further info to come on this.

1 Like

Thanks @cyberdave. I am not blaming you guys. I was taking a look at this. I am not sure I see a fix at my end as my vid has no sound Autoplay policy in Chrome - Chrome Developers. thanks

Did you guys get this fixed? Just saw my background video in all its glory on my published site in Chrome 66.0.3359.139.

1 Like

Thanks guys for working your magic. It’s working for me now too.

1 Like

Hi there,

I have just replaced the background video on my website. The new video plays fine in preview
but when published it just shows the first frame.

Note: The video plays if I click on the home page logo link on site but not if typing in the URL directly to browser.

Any help would be much appreciated. The previous video I had worked with no problems and was trans-coded in the same way using Handbrake. Video is under 5mb

Thanks,

Niall

https://preview.webflow.com/preview/webcraft2018-2?preview=88a819c72917d317c766b3b3a4e2078f

I have exactly the same issue including the video only playing on clicking the logo nav link.

I used you readonly link and it plays fine bud. Maybe its your internet speed?

1 Like