THE SHORT STORY
I decided to have a go at redesigning the Bandcamp homepage last night. Here's where i'm up to so far:
Would welcome your feedback/suggestions for additions & improvements.
THE LONG STORY
I love Bandcamp, but I can't stand their home page. It feels a bit overwhelming on first view, with a lot of text, playlists and audio players all in a small space. This redesign is an attempt to make it visually more appealing and generally less cluttered.
A few things I've attempted to improve thus far:
- Overall design has been overhauled and uncluttered a little, but in keeping with the Bandcamp brand colours. I've not yet work on an mobile styles but the desktop version is getting there (i think!).
- The current Bandcamp home page has a LOT of audio players scattered around. I've tried to improve this by using a fixed audio player in the bottom of the screen....click the big play button in the header section and it appears. You can also expand it to reveal the playlist and credits. The idea is that this would be the only player on the main page, so clicking on something in the discover or new records section would update the player in the bottom bar.
Things I still need to do:
- Tablet & Mobile Layouts
- The Menu. Idea at present is for it to be a full screen menu, with all the links to music feed, account, etc to remove some of the links found dotted around the current Bandcamp home page
- Some additions to the audio player (share buttons etc)
- Cover art & text for main sections
More ideas to come, I just had the urge to take a shot at it last night! Might take me a few weeks to fully realise the idea.