Best practice for transferring website to a client?

I built a website for a client (www.spaantech.com) and now the client is asking if I can give them access to the actual website account rather than just the editor.

What is the most common thing to do in this scenario(In other words, handing over a finished website)? Send them just the code for the website? Have them create an account and transfer the website? etc…

Thanks for the help!

Alex

Let them create their own account and transfer the site. If they want you to do some changes later they would either transfer it back to you or give you credentials to their account.

I recently had this issue and had already purchased hosting (the client paid for it). It is a bit of a pain as you have to cancel the hosting package and work with support to get a pro-rated refund. Then transfer the site and repurchase hosting.

I’m not sure if there is a best practice for this, but I have had to purchase hosting prior to launch in the past, I think b/c of limitations with fonts and CMS items that require a hosting plan.

2 Likes

I had the same issue, they hired someone else to manage the site after I launched it (ouch!!).