W’re about to perform not one, but FIVE big website migrations and I could use an outside view/second opinion of my process (please!).
Quick background info - We’re an eCommerce brand with some VERY outdated websites across multiple countries. All built on a custom system with awful UI and UX. Last year we decided to redesign everything and move to Webflow & Shopify. In the coming month’s we’ll be migrating to our new websites.
What’s going to change:
- Almost every URL
- A lot of pages will disappear
- A lot of content will change
- The design will get a huge overhaul
- UI & UX will be improved
What will stay the same:
- The domain
I’ve done some site migrations before but not on this scale.
In terms of work flow I was thinking the below:
- Have new website ready to go on the .webflow.io domain
- Create a list of 301s - old URLs to new (Would it best to add to the ‘301 Redirects’ within Webflow or upload a .htaccess file?)
- Generate a new sitemap of the new website
- Make the switch
- Resubmit the new sitemap
- Monitor Analytics/Search Console
Can anyone pitch in any thoughts/views/opinions?