Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Blog Category Not showing

Does anyone know why my “Blog post” category is not showing up on my first blog post “hello”? I have the copy in the field on the back end on the designer and editor, but after it’s published, the text does not show.

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
https://preview.webflow.com/preview/blog-1-324f36?preview=2931a64aaca3436d85c5da8ad545f4e9

You need to create an actual field for the category to show. Simply make a text box and style it however you want and say get text from blog category name. You can even make this a separate link that leads to a category page for that category that you build. Nothing is automatic in webflow for the CMS, it’s totally modular so you have to build everything manually. Hope that helps!

I have a similar issue, but I’ve created the Category field. But, I created it using Multiple References as I want to have multiple categories for each blog post. I see my categories in the Category field in my settings, but there is no Categories option in the pulldown menu list when I insert a text block on the page. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hi @matt.bryant

Can you post your read-only link and point us to the page too, then we can take a look at the settings for you:

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Update: If I set up the Category field as a single reference type, I can choose from the categories in my categories collection and it works fine. But if I set up the field as a Multiple References type, I cannot see the option to choose any categories from the text block pull down. So how do you set up categories from a multiple references source on a text block, i.e. so that you can display multiple categories for a blog post?

Hi @matt.bryant

I think the reason for that is you need to have an individual text block for each category, so it’s only allowing you to pull the data from a ‘single’ reference field rather than ‘multi’.

If it were able to pull the name of each multi ref item into one text block - I guess there would be issues with how to separate the text data - spaces, commas, also which order etc.

Here’s how to get this working:

• Instead of using the ‘static’ blog page that you have created, use the purple ‘Blog Post Template’ page. This creates a new page for each blog post based on your styling.
  • Place those items (copy/paste) into this ‘template’ page but NOT part of a collection list
  • Where you want to display the multiple categories - do use a collection list here
  • Connect it to Blog posts, drop in a text element, connect the text element to the Multi ref
  • With a little styling work you have a multi-list of categories for that specific blog post

Hope that’s useful?

Thanks for the tips! I will try this method and see if I can get my blog up and running. Worst case, I will just use one of the free starter blog templates and revise it as needed. Cheers