Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Browser issues with updated link to PDF on DropBox

Hi. I just updated a downloadable PDF resume that I had stored on DropBox and linked to my site. The new file appears correctly and downloads fine in Chrome. However, on Safari and Firefox, I get a 404 file not found error page. Viewing the source code shows that Chrome has the updated Dropbox link, while Safari and Firefox source code shows the old link from the removed old file. I have cleared all fo the old cache from all 3 browsers. Can anyone explain why 2 of 3 browsers would have the old link? Any way to trouble shoot this?

Thanks!

Hi @dvanetc

Can you please share your Read-Only link :slight_smile:

Thanks Brando, here you go:
https://preview.webflow.com/preview/fixed-dvedesign-net?preview=62b46cbcf22eb8b75afb1b3db4ef0819

Hmmm... here is a clue... when I access my site using vanetc.com the link to the PDF download works. All 3 browsers. I also use dvedesign.net which has a redirect aimed at vanetc.com. If I access the site using the redirected URL, the link fails. In all 3 browsers. So it doesn't seem to be a browser issue at all. It may be a Dropbox issue? Could their link disallow access to the file through a re-direct?

D

Hi thanks for sharing that link and info.

I think this is an issue from the Dropbox side. I tested the resume download link on all three browsers and everything worked as expected.

Can you please try the following:
(1) Try to reproduce the error while being logged into Webflow using Incognito mode with browser extensions turned off: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95464?hl=en
(2) If the problem persists, please take a screenshot of your Console and send it to me: https://developer.chrome.com/devtools/docs/console

Thanks in advance!

Well this is getting really confusing.

At this point, I can reliably open vanetc.com and dvedesign.net and get the site to load. Clicking the resume link successfully opens the updated PDF and it is downloadable through Chrome and Safari with both URLs. But using Firefox, the linked file opens and downloads only if you open the site through vanetc.com. I continue to get the 404 error that the file is no longer available if I open dvedesign.net on Firefox.

However, if I use Firefox's Private Browsing window, dvedesign.net and vanetc.com both open the PDF and the file is downloadable. (Using the private browsing windows in all three browsers works fine opening the updated PDF link.)

Given it fails to work only in Firefox (Up-to-date v 52.0) in non-private windows. I'm not sure showing you my console in Chrome would help. (?) (Not sure how to use console either... what should be open when viewing the console?)

Hi @dvanetc

What are you using to test? I am using browserstack and was able to get to the download link for your resume in Firefox. Here is a GIF

Check out this troubleshoot guide from dropbox, specifically this piece

Hope this helps!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.