Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Browser Support CSS Grid - Status March 2019

Hi Webflow-Team,

can you give information how is the browser support for the CSS Grid? Or do you have a serious website recommendation where to get actual infos?

Do you recommend to use it already? Because we have much clients who do not update on the latest browser version.

The same question i have for using it in Newsletter.

Thank you so much! And greetings from germany :slight_smile:
Bettina

@Bettina_Lucas - This site provides information about CSS and browser support. It is very current.

https://caniuse.com/#feat=css-grid

1 Like

Yes this site i know :slight_smile: But i didn´t know if it is a serious site. Thank you :slight_smile: There stand 88,96 percent. So 11 percent can not use the website. This is too much. Is there an alternative for the older browser?

Thanks for your answer!
Bettina

@Bettina_Lucas-

That resource is referenced by companies like IBM, Microsoft, Google, Mozilla, and more. It is authoritative.

You can choose to use the display properties that match up with the level of browser support you need. Flex has pretty good support, but does have IE issues. Block is supported 100%.

1 Like

What you mean with “Block”? My English ist not perfect :slight_smile: Only to understand well :slight_smile:

I mean the display:block type.

1 Like

But is it better to wait to use grid or do you recommend to use it already? We do not want to loose clients. 11 percent is for us too much.

I can’t answer that question for you. On most of the sites I build, using CSS Grid is acceptable. When it is not, I use flex box. If that is not acceptable, then I code the sites by hand.

You should look at your analytics data to determine what the actual percentage is in your target geography, and if those visitors are already engaging your site. This is all the part of site discovery / research process when deciding on what technologies you will support.

1 Like

Yes you have reason. Thank you so much for your input :slight_smile:

That helped me much. Have a nice evening :slight_smile:

Bettina

1 Like