Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Bug in search tool within Webflow site


#1

Hi guys

We have been very happy with the search tool but since July when we started to have funny behavior and found out that the collection we are using for all the posts is not indexed anymore neither the page listing products and when we are manully indexing the site we have an error message at the end. It happened nearly at the same time when we needed to restore an older version of the site because all the links to pages went wrong.

Having NO support at all from webflow except to say “your search seems to have a funny behavior”, they are silent, would you have any recommendation?

Here is the website link

An easy search is “heatmiser” for which we have plenty of content in posts/… (both in titles , H1, H2, etc…) but it doesn’t show at all anymore.

I have check the check boxes for index both in collection pages setup and fields.

Thanks

Here are the items we should find in the search as it was before


Here is my site Read-Only: https://preview.webflow.com/preview/plancher-chauffant-caleosol?utm_source=plancher-chauffant-caleosol&preview=eab0262a973ea8bf557dfd46fe48022a
(how to share your site Read-Only link)


#3

Hi @cazeaux thank you so much for posting this and being so candid with us and keeping us accountable. The delay you’ve experienced is unacceptable and I’ve responded to you directly to resolve this issue.

It appears that there is an issue with slug renaming along with indexing within your site and I’m looking into this personally with my team to get this resolved ASAP. :bowing_man:‍♂️


#5

@cazeaux We’re looking into what might be blocking those pages from rendering.

I did notice that in your site’s custom head code there are some // comments which should be <!-- -->. This probably isn’t the root cause, but you could fix this in the mean time. Specifically:

//<script type="text/javascript">
//  (function(w,d,t,u,n,s,e){w['SwiftypeObject']=n;w[n]=w[n]||function(){
//  (w[n].q=w[n].q||[]).push(arguments);};s=d.createElement(t);
//  e=d.getElementsByTagName(t)[0];s.async=1;s.src=u;e.parentNode.insertBefore(s,e);
//  })(window,document,'script','//s.swiftypecdn.com/install/v2/st.js','_st');
//
//  _st('install','ZMSssV5z2JJryaH5-D-Z','2.0.0');
//</script>

should be:

<!--
<script type="text/javascript">
  (function(w,d,t,u,n,s,e){w['SwiftypeObject']=n;w[n]=w[n]||function(){
  (w[n].q=w[n].q||[]).push(arguments);};s=d.createElement(t);
  e=d.getElementsByTagName(t)[0];s.async=1;s.src=u;e.parentNode.insertBefore(s,e);
  })(window,document,'script','//s.swiftypecdn.com/install/v2/st.js','_st');

  _st('install','ZMSssV5z2JJryaH5-D-Z','2.0.0');
</script>
-->

(Or, just remove these lines.)


#6

Hi

So I modified the scripted, published and indexed… result is worst. Some more collections such as Caleosol doesn’t index anymore.


#8

The Facebook pixel code (and Google Analytics code) should be in the “Footer Code” section of the site settings (not “Head Code”).

We’re still looking into the indexing issue.


#9

Changed to footer

No change on search


#10

We’re still looking into the indexing issue. There is a different system that renders the site for indexing, that can fail in different ways than the system for publishing pages.

Since this issue seems specific to this site, would you like to take this conversation back to email?


#12

Yes of course

Olivier cazeaux
Freeheat Caleosol

+33 2 34 46 00 00


#13

For anybody running into a similar issue, we ran into a bug in the indexing renderer that keeps pages with a Google Plus widget from the index. A workaround, until we fix the underlying bug, is to check the “Exclude” box in the element / search settings for the widget or a parent:

image

Edit 2018-09-28: the underlying bug is fixed now. Pages with G+ widgets should index without special steps.


#14

Brilliant (english s) , awesome (english z)

Yes I have excluded the google plus widget from the search on all collections and it is working again… as it was…

Funny enough, I have installed this widgets years ago and search was working fine until July, it might be that google changed something in it so it might happen again with other widgets.

The process is “exclude”, “publish”, “index” in that order…

MY TAKE: for search purpose, it is important to select only and only the fields you want to be searched and avoid all funny fields such as widgets which are not automatically excluded …

Olivier