Cannot Delete Field | CMS

Hi there,

I was wondering if there was an option to locate and KILL all references to specific CMS field… I’m trying to remove a field from a collection, went through all items, went through all pages referencing to that field but it still seems there is a something somewhere using that field.

Is there a way to “CMD F” (comand find) that field to kill it ?
Thank you :slight_smile:

Here is my public share link: LINK
(how to access public share link)

2 Likes

There is no such feature but we’d all like it :smiley:

Ok you can visually unfold the entire Navigator tree to try to spot purple elements… In the navigator, click on Body then as many time as you need on the down arrow key while maintaining ALT pressed. It will select one by one all elements in their HTML order, ignoring hierarchy.

If you find nothing, you may have forgotten some properties at page level, some fields used inside of the SEO or OG title or description, or in the RSS of a template page.

You also need to check the custom code blocks at page level, for the same reasons.

You have to be sure no bindings is made from the Settings tab, for colors, images etc…

If you really find nothing, then contact support, they can work some magic sometimes.

3 Likes

HI @anthonysalamin, if you get stuck deleting the collection, you may also feel free to contact us at the support desk: Webflow Customer Support | Webflow University.

Provide the site info and the collection/field that is being deleted and we are happy to take a look.

Thanks in advance

4 Likes

@anthonysalamin i feel your pain… i liken it to eatn a sandwich in a house and then realizing the crumbs you drop can lock the doors… then you have to find your crumbs!.. @vincent methods the way to go… find the purple and the crumbs inside!

1 Like

Hi there,

Thank you all for your precious feedback.
I spent my sunday using @vincent’s method and killed all rogue Fields :slight_smile:
I now have clean collection lists inside my CMS !

Have a nice evening,
Anthony

2 Likes

Patent pending! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It will be very convenient if a list of places where this field is used is displayed in the error message. In a large project need have to spend a lot of time searching for the page where this field is used. Especially when you have to edit an existing project that another person has done before.

I have a similar issue. Even though the pop-up states there are no existing connections:

I still can’t delete the field: