Can't Apply Action to Two Different Elements

Goal: Button is clicked: hide element A, reduce opacity of element B
Problem: Webflow will not allow me to apply action to two different elements. When I try to change the action target it changes the target on both. I am very much selecting the other element and then clicking the “+” button, but it applies the action to the element that’s already there instead. Screen Recording 2021-01-12 at 2.09.10 PM

Here is my public share link: LINK
(how to access public share link)

1 Like

Because your two actions target the same element or elements with the same class (or first class of a combo). That’s expected.

Knowing this, you should find a way, by structure or class naming, to make your interaction work anyway.

Hi Vincent. THIS is the bug. You can’t see it in the gif, but I am trying to click on two different elements altogether (different classes). When I add the second element (with the different class) it changes the target (“affected” element) to that of the existing element and completely ignores what I clicked. Screenshot gif here.

I faced the same problem. I think it can be solved by adding as an action the trigger element. Even if there’s no action to be applied on the trigger.

I solved it by adding the trigger element on top with no action applied and then the different elements with different actions.

1 Like

Wow, this frustrated me a lot too, and I also found a workaround. It’s kind of tricky to explain but I’ll try my best. This comes across as a usability bug on Webflow.

When you are adding a new action, see if an existing action is highlighted either with strong blue or a light blue fill. If so, your new action’s target element is going to overwrite that existing action’s target. We don’t want that.

You have to find a way to add a new action without anything else being highlighted. This is tricky because if you select a parent element, all its children are going to be highlighted and be over-written; if you highlight a child element, (I think) other siblings under the same parent get highlighted too.

The workaround: Select an entirely unrelated, random element from your list of layers on the left (aka Navigator), then add an action to it. Then, using the Class editor, change which element you want this action to be applied to.

1 Like

This is my most hated Webflow bug.

Thanks to @MJ_K for the workaround.

Hopefully, Webflow fix this before it annoys me too much and I move to Framer.

1 Like

@MJ_K i never would have figured this out. thank you so so much for posting your workaround.