Cant get blog post to show "related" posts

Hi! I have a blog in Webflow and im struggling to make the “related articles” section actually pull in related articles (based on category).

The link to my blog is: The Appcues Blog: for Product People
The link to one of my blog posts (where i need the related articles feed to work, at the bottom of the page) is: https://www.appcues.com/blog/product-launch-tactics

My read only link is: Webflow - Appcues Old

I have tried everything I can to figure out how to do this, and im really stuck. Thank you so much for your help!

Here is my public share link: Webflow - Appcues Old

The blog’s looking amazing!

To make sure the related articles display posts only in the same category, you’ll need to:

1. Make your categories into a Collection
  2. Add a reference field to your blog post Collection that connects to those categories
  3. Set conditional visibility on the related post cards and limit to the “current” category

Again, great work! Glad to se Appcues on the platform.

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly!

I actually didnt design or build the blog, I started at Appcues a few months ago and will be taking over the site from here! I am still in the process of learning webflow, but loving it so far.

It seems to me that the categories are in a collection, and the reference field isnt working for me though. Im still getting used to how it was build and where everything is.

Any other tips you could give me would be awesome!

I know we are doing it correctly on one of our additional sites, but I cant seem to find what im doing wrong on this site.

Thank you so much for your help! We are loving Webflow! Cant wait till im fluent in it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Tanya_Higgins, when you setup the collection list for the related articles, you can set a filter on the Reference (not multi-reference) field and then set the collection list to display all posts having the same category, see for example:

I hope this helps,
Dave

Thank you so much!

So when I do this, I had created the “categoryz (reference)” field but when I set this up it doesnt seem to be pulling the actual categories. See screenshot

The person who build the site initially set up the categories as an “option” rather than a reference field

When I look into my “categoryz” reference field it says its pulling blog categories

When I went to edit my actual blog posts to make sure the “categoryz” field was tagged it shows a bunch of categories that are not actually my categories I want

These are my real categories

Im super confused with this and why its not working correctly or at all

Thank you for your help and time!

My real categories are here

See on my live site: The Appcues Blog: for Product People

im not sure where these live or why im not able to reference these?

(again im not the one who built the site initially so im still getting familar with it)

Hi @Tanya_Higgins, thanks for your response. Well, since the Option field cannot be used to filter the current category, you will need to populate the blog categories collection with your category references first, then next update your posts to select the correct category reference from the categoryz field.

Once that is done, you will be able to use the filter to show those posts having the same reference value in the categoryz reference field.

I hope this helps

1 Like

This worked thank you so much!!!

Sorry I wasn’t detailed enough, @Tanya_Higgins! And thanks for figuring it all out, @cyberdave :slight_smile:

Its okay you were great thank you for your help!

There was just a bit more to it, i didnt realize the categories were not initially set up correctly.

Thank you both for your time!

2 Likes