Client doesnt want to support amazon (AWS)

Wondering if there is any way to use webflow without having to also support AWS.

Thanks

1 Like

This is a difficult one… I’ve had one such request recently.

We were just completely honest and explained where any AWS use is in the whole chain (using Webflow as a tool supports AWS for instance) but that it’s extremely difficult to avoid such a huge provider (especially when it’s our primary host, and we’re in the process of switching our DNS over to AWS!)

They wanted to completely avoid as much as possible, so we ended up building a WordPress website and hosted on a DigitalOcean VM. Your client may be more open to having a Webflow site and code exported for hosting elsewhere though. Best to talk through the possible touch points and see what they’re willing to accept.

1 Like

Simply said, you can’t!
Webflow itself has AWS deeply integrated for almost all aspects. Not only that, many third-parties WF uses behind the scene also run on AWS. If you want to use WF, you will support AWS.

May I ask why the client is unwilling to use AWS? Also Google Cloud?

1 Like

The unwillingness comes with criticism of Amazon’s unethical business practices. The client is a news source that is critical of big-tech and this could be viewed as a conflict of interest.

If you have any more info about how WF and AWS work in tandem, that could be useful for me!

Thanks

I very much understand!

So, Webflow list’s their subprocessors here
This includes (some examples):

Stripe
Stripe’s subprocessors also include AWS

MongoDB
MongoDB’s subprocessors include AWS

Dropbox
Dropbox’s subprocessors include AWS

etc, etc…

Using WF for developing and hosting will in some way or another include AWS and Google and maybe some other “big tech”. If you only use WF to create the code and export it to some private server or a company that has it’s own infrastructure, you may be able to have the site not flag for this. I guess its only for the visible portion of the site, in case someone takes a deep look on what the site is build on. However in that case, experienced eyes will still determine the page was created with WF and thus, can know AWS was at least part of the creation.

1 Like

You can’t use Webflow then. It’s not just the hosting plan that uses AWS - your projects, assets, databases and demo pages are all stored there during production.

2 Likes