I sent this bug into support, however, I havent’ received the auto-response indicating they’ve received it. So I’m submitting this here just in case… (Also, oddly enough, in my dashbaord notifications, it says there are no notifications from the past 90 days - clearly there has been. I think Webflow has been taken over by gremlins)
I didn’t get an email confirming my last ticket I sent in, but I have an update to this anyway.
I had sent in the issue that with cms lists, it was showing “no items” found, even though there were definitely items.
In fact, these cms lists were already in use – just today I noticed that they were all showing no items found…
There’s a weird fix - if you remove a filter and then add the filter back, the items will appear again. In the case where there is no filter being used, if you just add any filter to the cms list, and then remove that filter, the items will also appear.
I took a video of this for you to see what I mean: