Command-line tool to use Webflow site on your own server

Hi folks,

I use Webflow to design pages which I host on my own server, and I also modify the Webflow-generated code. I only do so in very minimal ways at the moment, but I wanted a robust way for handling those changes so that I could continue to design in Webflow and easily import into my site (and have my changes automatically applied).

If that sounds like something you’ve struggled with / wanted to do, then you might want to try this little tool I put together:

Usual disclaimers: very alpha, yadda yadda. Might eat your cat and give you rabies, etc. That said, if you find a specific problem, have a suggestion, or (even better) a pull request, let me know!

Happy hacking!

8 Likes

Wow! This looks extremely useful. Do you think you could put together a screencast demonstrating the process?

Maybe! I don’t know when I’ll get to it, but sounds like a good idea.

This is exactly what I have been trying to tell the webflow dev team to do. We need to be able to publish our site directly to our own server from within Webflow. Just provide a publish interface to enter hosting parameters and publish. If I update my site, webflow would just update the changes and I continue to design. This is highly required in a designer-developer workflow.

2 Likes

Or even better, a stand alone self hosted version…obviously some thought would have to go into licensing and anti piracy =)

Haven’t looked at the git yet but sounds great.

Thx for the share!

I agree with @topelovely

Just provide a publish interface to enter hosting parameters and publish. If I update my site, webflow would just update the changes and I continue to design. This is highly required in a designer-developer workflow.

To the Webflow team, this is something that would entice me to make webflow a staple tool in my toolbox, as well it is something that I don’t mind paying a little bit extra for, premier monthly plan?

Is this something that has been spoken about between the webflow dev team? How else can we make the case that this is something for you to consider or re-consider.

Ultimately, this new feature would save me time which is equated to money and stress of having to manually hack together this process flow when webflow could help me do it with a few easy steps, just my 2 cents

cc / @vitaligent @thunder @pingram3541

2 Likes