Cookies on website

Hey everyone,

I am new to website building. I live in the EU and the websites that I will be making will be for clients in the EU. I had a questions about cookies for websites.

My question is:

1. how do I set up cookies for my website, or is that something that is automatically done once my website is online.
  2. I understand that I would need a consent banner for the cookies. But if I build this, that doesn’t automatically mean that my website has cookies on it correct?

I tried to search the web for information on this but could only find how to make the cookie consent banner, not how to set up cookie for the website.

@Quine_Brown,

Will you be using any time of analytics, chat, paid ads, etc? For example, if you add Google Analytics to you site, your users will get a persistent cookie from Google. This is a file that gets put on their device when they visit your site.

This tool has a free version and would automatically do the things your EU clients need:

Found this tool through @Noah-R, so credit to him!

Hi @myonke Thank you a lot for the reply. I added it to my site. I testes the website and it says it has no cookies. Again I am not sure how exactly this works. But this widget is now on the website.
Only when I use analytics and the other mentioned tools will there be cookie on the website?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you for your time.

@Noah-R Thank you sharing the tool.

I’m no legal expert, but I believe the law says:

• You must let visitors know from the get-go that your site uses cookies, in a clear and visible way.
  • You also need to provide details on how you use cookies and why.
  • Most importantly, you have to give visitors the opportunity to provide, withdraw or refuse consent.
  • Before consent is obtained, no cookie-related scripts can be run on your site.

With that said, you said your site does not collect cookies, so I wouldn’t think you need any consent banner or cookie policy. However, if you do, I use iubenda.com.

Correct. My website does not use cookies because I essentially do not know how to implement these in there.

Thank you for the reply.

2 Likes