Creating filters in CMS lists based on the user who is logged in...?

I’m building a dashboard in webflow for creators and brands.

When brands post a brief and accept a creator to do their project, I need to generate a small CMS list that has a picture and external link to another site, which only they should be able to access.

Similar to this: https://i.imgur.com/62V73rh.png

For users who haven’t gotten any projects yet, they should not see anything in the CMS list.

Is this possible? I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

1 Like

Hi, I was wondering if you ever found a solution… I have same need of having filters based on user info (email, phone or name)

Diego if you have the unique user identifier [ the email, phone or name you’re mentioned ], and the CMS contains that identifier in a field, you can filter it using script.

However-

1. Those fields really need to match identically
  2. There is virtually no real security here,
  3. You’ll probably have to deal with collection list limit issues

If you’re wanting to do this behind a login, and pull user-specific data you can build that solution today on Memberstack, or hopefully in the near future on Webflow Memberships.

Thank you. I really don’t want using memberstack. WOuld be nice to have this on webflow natively. Yeah, i can filter by either a script or just create a filter… but i need a secure and universal solution.

Not a lot of options with those constraints, but here are some thoughts for you…

Instead of a filter, you could create a unique CMS dashboard for each of your users.

Use Webflow Memberships to password protect the CMS Collection.

Then, automatically create an unguessable slug for each user, something like https://site.webflow.io/dashboard/5tr43-85jght65-adEE34

Now all site visitors don’t have access to any user dashboards (password protected).

But all logged in users can try and guess, and access, the users dashboard since Memberships only protects the CMS at the Collection level versus the item level.

It’s a fairly common approach that you can automate with a glue service like Make / Integromat & probably Webflow Logic in the near future.

More can be discussed if there is interest.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Thank you for your answers/suggestions. Extreemly helpful! ChrisDirt’s suggestions is killer as always.
BUT, let me ask out of curiosity, IF, i decide to integrate memberstack and is able to retrieve member ID or email of a currently logged in user, how do i pass this into CMS filter? GIven that i will need filtering done on the backend prior to sending data into front end?

:pray:

Could you describe in a bit more detail what you mean and are referring to when you say “filters”? How are they implemented? Are you referring to a native Webflow feature or something else?

I ask as it could mean one of several things and I do have some creative thoughts for you, but need to have a bit more detail from you first.

2 Likes

So, first of all, I was able to set up Memberstack.

Filters. What I mean…
The user profile/dashboard page will be available for access through the top nav.

On one of the widgets on the profile/dashboard page, I will have a list of all users’ form submissions/listings, filtered by their member stack ID (so I wouldn’t have to load other users’ submissions/listings) and displayed in the CMS grid component.

The final result, each user only has their submission inside the “My listings” widget on their profile page.

Other widgets I’m going to have in the future: Quick stats

That’s it.
Once this is done, I will add options EDIT, DELETE and SHARE for each listing.

Thank you.

Yea, that’s fairly straightforward with Memberstack.

You can use their front end api, and get the currently logged in users id. That’s the association into all of this users specific info.

Here are a couple of screencasts that should help:

1 Like

Thank you, Chris, you’re phenomenal. Going to dig into these courses and see what I can build :sunglasses:

And here is an example of what I’ve built based on @ChrisDrit :pray: :pray: :pray: video tutorial and recommendations.

I only had to get 2 new subscriptions: Zapier and Memberstack 2.0 (probably these tools one cannot avoid working with Webflow). The good part is that since I got Zapier I can get rid of Power Importer.

BAM!!! Here is the outcome ^^^

Well done @Diego_Riveira :clap: Way to bolt on some serious power :zap:

Site’s lookin’ nice!

1 Like

I manually referenced listings CMS through a newly created multi-reference field inside the dashboards CMS… Trying to find a way how to automate this filtering by User ID and don’t know how :frowning:

Ok, figured out how to update / add value to a single reference field via zapier!!!
Thanks to this video - How To Map Webflow Single Reference Fields Through Zapier (Full Tutorial) - YouTube

Again, spaecial thanks to everybody in the thread!emphasized text

@memetican have you got an example of a script that can do what you’ve described? I’ve used the Sygnal Attributes to pass a user email address into a form within a membership area to a CMS collection with Webflow Logic, so I have a way for the user email + the CMS collection item to match identically.

I’m not sure entirely how to go about writing a script that would allow me to to filter the CMS collection list down to only the user’s submissions.

(I’m aware of the performance/security risks here, I’m just trying to get a low-code prototype out as a concept for fun)

As a low-code prototype I’d use Finsweet’s CMS filters, and CMS load more. Those together can load all of the CMS content and restrict it to your filter settings.

Then you’d set the filter setting ( in this case a textbox ) to the email address, and probably constrain it to filter on just the email field.

I haven’t tried this but… You might even be able to do this as no-code, by placing Sygnal’s wfu-bind attribute directly on the filter field alongside Finsweet’s filter attributes.
Then wrap your filter area in a DIV and hide it, so the user does not have the ability to change those settings.