Difference between seo and sem

SEO is the process of optimizing your web site for the purpose of getting free traffic from search engines. An optimized web site is more easily understood by Search engine crawlers, so there are more chances of ranking higher in SERPS.

SEM

SEM is the marketing process with a goal of getting more visibility in search engines either by getting more free traffic (SEO) or paid traffic. Many people start with a good Web site and invest in SEO, but don’t necessarily follow through with another very important component; and that is search engine marketing.

1 Like

Any tips on improving SEO and SEM by the way?

Always good to know what others differently from the rest of us :slight_smile:

SEM has always had much more to do with paid search than anything in organic (free) SEO. Thus the “marketing” part. Paid search has to be consistently and constantly monitored for performance and budget. SEM costs much more due to this management aspect.

The difference between SEO and SEM is simply that Search Engine Optimization is part of Search engine marketing or Search marketing as it is widely known. Both processes aim in increasing visibility in search engines.

SEO is about optimizing your website to get better rankings in the search results while SEM goes beyond SEO. It involves other methods that can get you more search engine visitors like PPC advertising.

Both SEO and SEM are performed to increase the visibility of the website in search results. SEO is an organic way of generating back links to the website and SEM is the process performed to promote the business in the search engine using paid marketing in order to reach the targeted customers.

SEO is not about backlinks.

Backlinks is an aspect of SEO. SEM / SEP has nothing to do with backlinks.

In it’s basic format… SEO is about getting organic traffic. SEM / SEP is about getting paid traffic.

With SEO… you don’t know what you get… but it’s free. Your cost goes into producing quality content.

With SEM… you get exactly what you asked for. And you pay through the nose for it. Your cost goes into paying people to develop your landing pages, and managing / displaying the ads.

We do SEO and SEM. Some of our clients pay only for SEO… some only for SEM… some BOTH.

yes i know.

agreed.

as you said… to each his own.

For SEO we build content landing pages. For SEM we build funnel pages.

• content page / funnels / etc…
  • term are often inter-changeable.
    — depends on who doing the talking… and who’s listening.

In the end… pretty much the same thing - except (for us) content pages are meant to be more general information (and more often a soft sell) whereas funnel pages provide more detailed concentrated product / item / service related info (and are more often a hard sell).

The end result is still the same - get them to buy later - or get them to buy now. Regardless of the method… the goal is still getting the visitor to take some actionable / trackable path.

agreed.

agreed. However… (IMO) organic results generally last longer whereas SEM produces traffic stops the instant the client runs out of funds.

I have sites (that are 5 years old) that still produce daily income…

• solely due to the SEO driven content.

What should i do to rank my content on the first pages. I am just not able to do.

Hello Mariad,

What do you mean exactly?
Do you want your websitepages rank on the first pages of the search engines?
When that’s the question there are a lot of opportunities.

One of the key issues I deal with is consistency with the use of seo titles and descriptions and headings and texts on the website.

But before we create a website, we look at site architecture (URL structure).

The combination of the above points contributes to the relevance of the website and to a better poison in the search engines

Search engine marketing (SEM) is a type of Internet marketing that include the advancement of websites by increasing their visibility in search engine results pages (SERPs) primarily through paid advertising
and seo
Ranking Solutions | Twilio Services | Twilio Applications

Both are different tactics. But used for the same purpose increasing website traffic. I love to use both tactics.

1 Like

Exactly, i need to rank my website pages to rank on the first pages. Thanks for the help. Do i need to hire someone or can i learn it on my own about the site architecture?

Sadly, there is no Magic way to rank on the first pages of google. There are strategies and techniques you can follow and with the right guidance and analytical research, you can definitely reap a large return on investment.
To really rank well you need first and foremost to publish Quality, Amazing, Brilliant, Useful Content. After you’ve nailed down optimizing the content and making a strategy for what you are attempting to rank, then I would move onto the actual white hat technical tactics, such as a backlink campaign.

1 Like

I didn’t see much difference between this 2 SEO & SEM. Both are used to increase website visitors and traffic.

Closed due to attracting spam.