Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Discreet update: the viewport width helpers in the Designer have been updated (+ asking for help at the end of the post)

This is always super useful to me so I think it’s worth telling the forum. You may not have realized (it took me some time) that the width device helpers in the horizontal ruler of the Designer have been silently updated (a few month ago. Thanks @magicmark! ).

Devices listed are now recent ones, the lists are shorter in most of the cases.

And now there’s much more info on the Desktop’s panel.

For smartphones portrait

All the Pixel’s

All the recent fruit’s devices

The ones from Asia and some old Google’s ones

The smallest fruits and some love for the iPod touch, still

For Smartphone landscape

For tablets

Bigfruit Pro!

And Desktop Very useful new additions.

This update was long overdue. I’ve been told that it will be updated more regularly from now on. Don’t hesitate to reach Webflow to ask for missing devices that you’d like to see in the ruler, especially if they’re very popular and have a different screen width than the ones already represented.

I am trying to come up with a graphic, to be used as a background image on the body, that will give you the same hints but for height. It’s not an easy task because it doesn’t depend only on hardware but also on browsers and habits.

If you want to help me, here is what to do:

I need screenshots of your devices, browsers open like you like them to be. I need to know the resolution of your screen and the name of the computer/handset you’re on. If I get many of these I’ll be able to decide for a safe area height for most of the devices, and will share the graphic. It will help us to simulate the browser height when reviewing our sites.

You can just post your images + infos in this thread. You can post several. Thanks!

4 Likes

I made a post in feedback about updating the labels a few months ago and was happy when I started seeing the changes being made. It’s the little things sometimes.

This helps me stay in the designer more instead of having to constantly jump over to chrome dev tools to check breakpoints.

I think I probably made 2 every year the last 3 years :smiley:

I agree, it’s far from being a small feature.

2 Likes