Does WebFlow support webP images?

According to Google (https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=www.windwardstudios.com)

Converting the images from png to something like WebP would impact the loading time the most. Can they be used in WebFlow?

thanks - dave

5 Likes

@David_Thielen

I believe yes. You can use webp just like jpeg and other formats.

Piter :webflow_heart:

You can’t upload a webp image to site assets. So the only way you could use one would be with an embed with the file hosted elsewhere. Webflow would also not be able to create responsively derived images from an embed.

Photoshop and many other popular image editors don’t support it yet. I have one tool on my mac that does.

I have a client site where it is used, but custom code and an image hosting service is generating the webp image, all the responsive images, and fallback support for browsers that don’t support it.

Safari browser (OS X and IOS) has zero support for it. Take a look below.

TL;DR - Nope. Not practical.

5 Likes

I was going to say the same as @webdev. Just ignore that part of the optimization suggestions. I mean, the support’s not there yet. Kinda weird to adopt it then to help with load times. No images loads fast too :joy:

I know now :grin: Thanks!

1 Like

Blockquote[quote=“PiterDimitrov, post:2, topic:83876”]
I believe yes. You can use webp just like jpeg and other formats.

Piter :webflow_heart:
[/quote]

How do you upload your webp assets? I get error when trying upload webp assets. I cant upload my webp assets, and I have to convert them to png before uploading.

Webflow doesn’t support webp images natively, the suggestion was to reference them from an external source, but support isn’t quite there yet among Apple devices

1 Like

Thanks for your answer. I do think that it would add tremendous value for all webflow creators to publish images without the limitations of web standards. For instance, could there possibly be support for not only webP but also, jpg2 and jpegXR so that it has cross-brower support? Thanks!!

2 Likes

Hi there,

Is there any update on Webflow supporting Webp?
I read in the documentation that Apple added Webp support in Sep 2020.

Thanks!

@AtelierM3 - That format is not currently supported for images inside the designer or asset panel. You can use custom code to display it (assuming you hosted the asset somewhere) since browser support is almost complete. I frequently use third party image CDN’s that automatically display as webP when the browser supports them for optimizing landing pages.

1 Like

Thanks for your response Jeff!

I’m a total rookie when it comes to optimizing landing pages for SEO. Do you have any tips regarding a good third party image CDN, and do you by any chance know of a proper tutorial about it to get started?

I currently use IMGIX and Cloudinary. Both have very good documentation.

There is a Webflow wishlist for this. If you guys want it, you can go vote for it here:
https://wishlist.webflow.com/ideas/WEBFLOW-I-2038

@webdev ~ Hey Jeff. Curious why our images are not automatically converted since Webflow is using AWS which has that ability. Automatic WebP Image Conversion. Can’t wait to see what is revealed at the “No Code Conference”. :hugs: Maybe support for WebP? :thinking: :smiley: :thinking:

3 Likes

You still would need a fallback for older IOS/Safari users. I hope they do offer it soon. I do take advantage of WebP on Wordpress sites now that it is supported there. Wait and see.

1 Like

Cloudflare will convert your images to webp on the fly and serve a much smaller version if you pay $20/mo for their pro membership. No reason why Webflow can’t do that for us all. It would speed up EVERY webflow site substantially and give better seo results.

5 Likes

Been using Stacket to convert my Website’s images to WebP. Normally I’d have to manually convert the images after exporting which was painful for my workflow haha.

2 Likes

Is this on webflows radar? Would really love to optimize my images with Webp since Google search console keeps recommending it

1 Like

If it is that would be news to me. They have made no mention of improving image delivery. I auto deliver assets based on browser support on almost all of projects off Webflow.

You can implement custom code within your project. So tools like cloudinary can work.

Guess what?! WebP is now supported natively supported! :tada:

1 Like