People react to: Ecommerce announcement

I was wondering this as well.

Plan and pricing details haven’t been finalized yet.

This would be a killer feature and stripe supports it. Should be easier to integrate?

1 Like

Thanks, I would hope this would be pretty high up on the demands list if anyone is serious about making a professional ecommerce experience. Customers know what they want now a days and are often searching for specifics so without filters this is going to be difficult to achieve. Perhaps you can see your way for making a case to prioritise this?

@kkilat Thanks for answering our questions.

Is there anything you can reveal about how e-commerce collections will work structurally? I noticed in the youtube videos that there are some dedicated commerce collections called Products, Categories, and Default SKU.
Are these default collections for commerce?
Can we create our own commerce collections, say for tags or wholesale collections?
Also in the example, how does the Chairs collection differ or relate to the products collection?

Noticed the Cart element in the the videos too. I assume this is to add a cart to any page but will there be an easy way to globally add the cart to every page, or is it necessary to create a symbol from the cart element to add manually to each page.

It also appears that there will be some new static Utility pages such as a Checkout page. Are there any others?

Refunds are something I don’t see on the roadmap at all. Is it expected for clients to handle that via Stripe?

3 Likes

@RoseWebStudio Filtering (not customized search) is possible already if you follow this example. It works well for me on a current work in progress.

Thank you, not really a multi filter though is it? And would really like this to be part of the ecommerce solution without all the fiddling around. I would have thought from a background database point of view this is a where clause, for example I search for t shirts and want “where t shirt is red and size is small” can’t be too difficult?

How about filters to CMS?

1 Like

Oh yes definitely for a complete and professional user experience, the search is great just need that extra functionality to make it complete

Would just like to say this is everything I have been asking for. This release won’t be very broad or confusing. I love that we know exactly what to expect in Beta, Release, Planned, and for the Future. This was extremely necessary. This is a step in the right direction to being open. I would like to see Webflow continue to open up.

1 Like

This is beyond exciting. With this addition I whole heartly believe webflow is set to take back the web.

1 Like

Yup, that’s one of many really nice things about building on top of Stripe – their platform makes a lot of the future improvements we would like to make easier.

That said, the mechanism for processing recurring payments is likely one of the simpler aspects of supporting functionality like this. The user experience implications for both the business owners and end-customers may be the tougher piece: What changes need to be made to the order management flows? Do end-customers need to be able to cancel their subscriptions on their own? If so, how (we don’t have a user account system yet)? etc. etc.

Not unsolvable problems :slight_smile: . But things that we need to dedicate the time to properly work through, which is why it’s not in scope for our initial launch.

file

I knew what it would be. But I did not think that so quickly.

1 Like

Awesome attention to detail – I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to dissect the product videos :wink:

First, I should say that one of the reasons we didn’t put a tremendous amount of focus on these user experience details in the site is that we are still working on these features, so the actual site building workflows will not work exactly like you see now.

But keeping that in mind, to provide at least some answers to your questions:

Is there anything you can reveal about how ecommerce collections will work structurally?

Products and Categories will be the standard Ecommerce collections. At their core, they are CMS Collections – so much of the same functionality you get with those (custom fields, item references, multi-references, etc.) will extend to these Ecommerce collections as well. Additionally, of the workflows for managing the product data, designing product lists and template pages, etc. will feel very familiar and consistent with designing with CMS data.

That said, they are also special collections, at the same time. Since we know what these collections are for, they are packed with with specialized functionality – mostly in the form of default fields that will power the more advanced Ecommerce features (checkout, shipping options/rates, sales tax, inventory management, etc.), but also including the ability to manage multiple variants per product (think t-shirts with different sizes and colors) in the future as well.

I assume this is to add a cart to any page but will there be an easy way to globally add the cart to every page, or is it necessary to create a symbol from the cart element to add manually to each page.

As of now, the Cart is designed to work like most of the other elements in the Add Panel – you will have to add it where you want it to be, likely using reusable components like Symbols to make that easier. Of course, Ecommerce templates will already have those Cart components added.

It also appears that there will be some new static Utility pages such as a Checkout page. Are there any others?

The Checkout page is a pretty big one! Were you thinking of anything else, specifically?

Refunds are something I don’t see on the roadmap at all. Is it expected for clients to handle that via Stripe?

Business owners will be able to process refunds from our Order Management workflows. This announcement was mainly focused on the designer experience and functionality, but there is a ton of great ‘store management’ functionality that is a HUGE part of this offering as well.

I hope that helps!

5 Likes

What didn’t you like about Shopify? I did an ecommerce site with Webflow+Shopify via Zapier and it worked out quite nicely.

And I was wondering what you didn’t like about Foxy? I’ve been thinking for a while on coming back to webflow and using Foxy but now we’ve got built in e-commerce coming.

@kkilat Hey, is there a list of the 130 currencies, is it perhaps all the currencies accepted by stripe?

I assume it is this Supported currencies | Stripe Documentation

1 Like

Thanks Jason, yes that should be it, my currency included.
(maybe just maybe I could looked that up myself :smile:)

@pritchettnick I haven’t actually used Foxycart or Shopify with Webflow, but I had learned that you can’t style the cart panel, the shopify checkout opens in a popup window, and a few other niggles that I didn’t like.

I also don’t like the idea of using 2 separate solutions for one website, for e.g. paying for hosting with both shopify and webflow.

Not major issues, but I thought I’d stick with what I know for now and that’s WordPress + WooCommerce. Although, after building a couple of websites with Webflow, going back to WordPress seems very slow and tedious compared to Webflow.

5 Likes