Ecommerce Sales Tax Breakdown

Hey everyone,

I’m working on my first Webflow ecommerce site for a client. I have experience using Foxy as the ecommerce platform, but this is my first time trying to do it all in Webflow. So far, the process has gone wonderfully. I haven’t had to write any weird Javascript like I would in my Webflow/Foxy projects to make things work properly.

I do have one weird issue though that I’m not sure can be fixed. At checkout, the sales tax is being broken down into three line items: State Taxes, County Taxes and Special District Taxes (see screenshot below). I understand that this is how sales tax is actually calculated, but it’s unusual to see it broken down like this and I worry it may confuse users—deterring them from making a purchase.

Is there anything I can do about this? Ideally, I would still have TaxJar’s automatic tax calculation but there would just be one line item of Sales Tax.

Here is my public share link: LINK

1 Like

I’m having this same problem. Is there any solution for this? @cyberdave @vincent @PixelPanda @brjohnson @Brando @Waldo

I recently experienced the same thing. I’d love for it to just bundle all of the taxes into 1 line litem called “Taxes” because seeing that specific breakdown is quite jarring for my client and their customers since we’re not used to seeing it like that.

I guess the workaround would to be include taxes in all of your items when you post them, but it’s not ideal.

I wonder if this was ever resolved? I’m encountering the same issue.

Hi @kvdkn, Currently, it is not possible to edit the tax line items. In order to ensure taxes are displayed correctly to users, we use the default tax names like:

• State Taxes
  • County Taxes
  • City taxes
  • Special District Taxes
  • GST
  • PST
  • QST
  • Country Taxes

This information is pulled in from our automatic tax calculation service, Taxjar.

Editing the text for these tax line items could be an awesome feature to have in Webflow, and it’s definitely something you could add your voice and votes too in our Wishlist.

There is currently a wishlist item opened for this here: Get access to "Country Taxes" in the check out form | Webflow Wishlist

The ability to add manual tax rules is tentatively on the roadmap for the first half of 2020. This will allow you to have more control over how taxes are displayed if you don’t want auto-tax enabled.

2 Likes

Have there been any updates on this? I’m running into the same issue and it seems fairly abnormal to have sales tax broken out like this.

3 Likes

We’re in the first half of 2021, any update on this??

1 Like

Any updates or workaround on how to manually set the tax rate? I live in Sweden where the normal tax rate is 25% for goods. But I realized that Webflow “automatically” calculates the taxes to 20% witch means that I have to pay the 5% of my own pocket.
I’m seriously thinking of going to Shopify as they are cheaper and easier to use.

Any suggestions of a workaround?
Also, we are in the second half of 2021 already, any news Webflow?

2 Likes

Similar issue here… manually setting the tax rate would be soooo much easier!

1 Like

Tax rates can be either federal or local, depending on the state.

There is a really simple solution around this but it is taking away the good work done by ‘Taxjar’.
This will not work for state taxes
When setting up taxes > select the country, if it’s the US, CA, EUR, or AUS you can turn the auto tax calculations off. For all other countries it is already a manual process.
Then goto the shipping methods and create per country its individual method with an add up percentage of taxes to the shipping cost if any and call it shipping and taxes. So that is 1 way to have all neatly under one item.
But I think its good to show the break down in taxes personally particular for states

Is there an update on this? I’ve tested a bunch of cities and zip codes and, ironically, Im only seeing the breakdown beyond sales tax in on city, Austin Texas, which is where our business is located.

I’d want to sell some items on Amazon, such as a tentacion cap, however, I don’t know anything about sales tax, so do explain.

Jumping in with another request to see this breakdown removed or normalized. It is really weird. At lease provide us with some kind of work-around. :pray: