Element ID changes when form name is changed

This is really annoying, and easily leads to problems: Webflow changes the element ID automatically whenever you change the form element name.

If I wanted to change the element ID, I would. It would be great if Webflow could not do that.

4 Likes

Hi @ConsciousApps

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have let the team know and will create a report for this issue.

As soon as I have more information, I will post back here with an update!

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Thanks, @Brando! :smile: :sunny:

1 Like

@ConsciousApps

After looking into this further, this is expected behavior. It helps to prevent duplicate form IDs.

Once the form ID is automatically updated, it can be changed manually without any issues.

If you are experiencing different behavior please let me know and I will investigate immediately!

Understand. Thank you for looking into it, @Brando!

I personally still think there are better ways to catch duplicates. I have a client who likes to fudge with the website—but since much of the JavaScript uses element IDs, my concern is that the client will change the form names and thereby screw up the JavaScript since Webflow will alter the element IDs.

1 Like

Ah I see. I assume the client has Designer access then. I think the best solution here is to let your client know about the way this feature behaves and the impact it could have on their site.

Thanks for your feedback on this setting. If you do have some ideas on how we can prevent duplicate forms, please don’t hesitate to make a post about on the Webflow Wishlist.! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.