Error publishing an item

Anyone know what this means?

Trying to publish an individual item but getting an alert that says “Domains have different publish dates. Republish all domains to enable single-item publish.”

Can’t share my read-only due to NDA, unfortunately.

Here is my public share link: LINK
(how to access public share link)

Hello, @jonreese!

Here’s information on this problem from this page: Collection items overview - Webflow University Documentation

In some cases, publishing individual items would break your site. In these instances, we prevent you from being able to publish single item updates. These instances include:

• Your site hasn’t been published
  • The structure of the collection for that item (or a referenced item) has changed
  • You have multiple domains published at different times (:point_left: This looks to be the issue here)
  • The item’s references create circular dependencies (for example, a blog post has an author, the author has a client, and the client has a blog post)

In each of these situations, the fix is simple: publish your entire site (to all domains) to make sure everything’s in sync.

Publishing your entire site should fix this issue for you! :smile:

1 Like

Just a heads up for anyone else who is having this issue as well. It disappeared when I published my project to [myprojectname].webflow.io as well.

I previously had only published it to my domain itself, not on the webflow subdomain as well.

1 Like

Same. Basically in order for the Publish functionality of individual collection items to be available, the staging site can’t be published more recently than the live site, which doesn’t help me since the whole idea is that I want to be able to publish individual items because I have unfinished work in the Designer.

3 Likes

My site has been published (and I republished it three times since seeing this error) but I still get
This item could not be published. Re-publish your site to enable single-item publishing.
https://webflow.com/design/mitiga-v2-93079889219862fdc44ad44614281

It seems like the issue may be for just one blog post.
61b8d9003dd0a3db9f287139

Sounds like I have to still make page duplicates and work with wrappers I can hide if I have active Guest Editors pumping out blog/news regular CMS items.

1 Like

We just published a best practices article to handle automatic publishing + active Webflow site development.

In brief, to update Webflow CMS items in live mode fails under certain scenarios like the one mentioned in this thread, so to handle that update in the non-live mode and then publish the site as a separate task.

byteline.io/blog/automation-the-best-practices-to-avoid-webflow-cms-publishing-errors