Everything you need to know before working on a real ecommerce site with Webflow

Sure, and the WooCommerce performances are not great at all. On the good sides it allows to the users to have an UI in French to manage their store (I’m French too :wink: )

1 Like

Damn another French! Yep, that’s definitely an advantage especially with e-commerce where the owner has a lot of things to manage (compared to a “simple” cms site)

I’d add that the inventory management system is very short sighted as there is no ability to define what the count refers to.

It works for things like drop shipping T-Shirts from a third party but is useless for traditional commerce supplying products from actual bulk stock: beer in barrels sold by measure, carpets sold in square metres or feet from a roll, fresh food products sold by weight again from actual stock. Selling products by defined measures quantities is fundamental to trade and commerce.

Also it is quite disappointing during the current pandemic to still not have options for click and collect or local delivery. Surely this alone would be priority back in March let alone in November?

1 Like

Oh yeah, that’s something I never thought about but you’re right, inventory is only defined by item number, not specific measures.

The frustrating thing is that we have no idea what they’re working on, except some glimpses here and there but that’s it

Great post, I’ve learned so much!

1 Like

Perfect! Thanks for reading the whole post!

1 Like

Inability to print packing slips or invoices means this is only really suitable for small businesses currently as well.

Basically, if you want to automate any part of the process, it’s pretty much impossible, and you have to do it manually, so yep only suitable for small businesses

1 Like

Another thing you might want to add to the checkout bugs/limitations is Webflow doesn’t have the ability to notify a customer that they have an out of stock item in their cart if it runs out of stock before they’re able to checkout essentially blocking them from completing a checkout without notifying them why.

Shopify and other e-Commerce platforms have solutions to either automatically remove the product from the cart if it goes out of stock and notify the customer or, send a notification message telling them which item to remove from their cart because it is now out of stock.

I spoke to the Webflow team and they’re aware of it causing confusing for shoppers. Unfortunately our only workaround atm is simple conditional states in the cart to show “this item is out of stock please remove it from your cart” at stock count 0 and changing the general checkout error state to “refresh your page and check your cart items”. We’ve had multiple customers just completely stuck at the checkout and just outright abandon it because they’re not aware that a product in the cart is now out of stock in the time they filled out the checkout form.

1 Like

Right, it never happened to me, although when setting the checkout error page, it seemed pretty weird how Webflow handles different error cases, especially the out-of-stock one.

P.S. I edited the original post!

Great post, I’ve learned so much!

Cocorico :rooster::joy:

J’ai mis un signet sur ton post, si j’ai du temps à Noël j’aimerais synthétiser les fonctions et les limites, ce qui manque et ce qui est attendu, dans une grille facile à lire, sur la page Komparator.

Je passe un temps fou à faire comprendre aux prospects que Webflow ecomm n’est pas forcément fait pour leur projet. Je pense que dans les points négatifs, l’absence de production de facture est à mettre en évidence le plus tôt possible.

“Comment ça pas de factures ?”

Ouais exactement.

Et aussi comment on calcule le nombre max de produits, qui inclue les variantes… On arrive vite dans le mur.

2 Likes

Pas mal le cocorico :joy:

Ouais ça peut être clairement une bonne idée à la fois pour quelqu’un qui veut utiliser Webflow Ecom en tant que designer mais aussi pour les clients.

Pour l’instant les gros avantages de WF Ecom sont quasiment uniquement pour les designers et pas pour les clients, toutes les fonctionnalités qui vont être intéressantes pour eux et leur business sont soit limitées soit inexistantes.

Modulo le fait que le design profite à la boutique, aux ventes, au client… on peut realiser des expériences riches sans faire exploser le budget, et en gardant une facilité de maintenance extreme.

Mais ouais en revanche c’est super faible en outils essentiels pour les commerçants.

Bien sûr, et c’est là tout le paradoxe de WF Ecom, il y a de vrais avantages en terme de customabilité et de maintenance par rapport à d’autres plateformes mais pour les fonctions basiques, c’est super faible.

Ça viendra. L’ecomm est un sujet touchy, c’est pas plus mal de commencer petit et de bien blinder les fonctionnalités et la sécurité. C’est sûr que ça crée de la confusion chez ceux qui pensent, à juste titre puisqu’on leur dit, que c’est une solution ecomm clefs en main.

A mon sens le truc qui doit être amélioré en priorité, tu ne le mentionnes même pas : la limite de produits inclue en fait tout : les produits mais aussi leurs variantes, les objets CMS, les catégories CMS. Je l’ai indiqué dans le tableau ici sous un astérisque : Understand Webflow Pricing: Sites & Accounts Plans ¹For Ecommerce, “Items” includes all SKUs (including variants), categories, and CMS items.

Si tu as un blog sur un site ecomm standard, avec 150 posts de blogs, ta limite de produits tombe a 350. Et si tes produits sont des teeshirts avec 3 couleurs et 4 tailles, alors chaque modèle compte pour 1 × 3 × 4 = 12 produits. 150 ÷ 12 = 12,5, tu ne peux avoir que 29 modèles de teeshirts dans ta boutique (41 si tu ne fais pas de posts de blogs ou d’items CMS).

Exact, j’ai rapidement parlé de la limite des produits, mais je n’ai pas développé le sujet, car je n’ai jamais eu de l’occasion de tester ça de mon côté. Donc si même les variantes sont comprises, ça limite pas mal le truc (déjà que 500 de base reste faible).

Hop, c’est ajouté au post!

@callmeben. Thank you. Wonderful post. Has much changed over the last 11 months?

1 Like

Looks like WF ecommerce is still a toy. Thanks for this post. Answered a lot of my presales questions. Shopify is disappointing beyond small simple stores, and WooCommerce with its add ons for things like variations or geolocation or PolyLang etc becomes quite quickly expensive for truly multi-language stores. Thanks for this informative sharing that helped us move along from WF. Their “ecommerce” showcase here has some examples that now use Shopify!

1 Like

Hi @More_Spinach.
Josh with Foxy here. You might consider our seamless Webflow integration: https://foxy.io/webflow

• Manage products with Webflow CMS
  • Mutli-lingual and multi-currency support
  • Connect to 100+ payment methods/gateways
  • Embed a customer portal
  • and more

Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or need help getting started: hello@foxy.io

Thanks,
Josh

1 Like