Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Exporting CMS based content

@callmevlad

Thanks for the update, this will keep alot of people happy.

But what about exporting CMS websites? this was a big discussion all over your forum but seems to be missed?

Your hosting may suit some people, but what about those people who run their own servers? I run a web hosting company and love what webflow offers but you're stopping me from using it.

Yes I agree, at the core my understanding has always been that webflow was built to be a designers tool by designers themselves, in the browser and with the convenience of world class hosting for those that could benefit from that convenience but again, at the core, it should still remain a tool (SaaS), but something that designers truly love because it makes our lives easier.

With the addition of the CMS capability it would make sense to leverage the built in hosting capability of webflow but to also remain a truly flexible designers tool, in which the CMS is also a part of, even down to export capability.

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

I love the flexibility of the service, and im not a developer or anyone that understands complex code...i know the basics so this really puts development jobs on my desk instead of outsourcing it...so its a win!

I guess the only problem is that coming from South Africa and the Dollar being 16 Dollars to 1 Rand, CMS hosting is like 150% more expensive that local hosts here...so its a bit of a hard sell to my clients, so exporting dynamic data as static data when exporting html i think would be a real win.

I'm happy to pay the extra cost when you're getting the amazing CMS features...but if you're not, i think it would still be cool to use dynamic data just to make the design process easier.

I just wanted to add my desire to have this possibility also ...

I'm having trouble selling my websites for my clients because on say that the webflow does not export the database they prefer host somewhere else.
I am design and work with a programmer would not be hard for me to get this stuff and host on another platform.

This would be to provide some security for my clients.
Even though I prefer to stay in webflow forever. :smile:
Thank you.

A simple way to get around this issue is to use a tool called site sucker http://ricks-apps.com/osx/sitesucker/index.html

I had a similar need to export CMS content because 1. webflow doesn't support SSL and so we need to self host, and 2. Since our site makes great use of the CMS features, most of the content of our pages doesn't export.

I will be posting a tutorial on a few tricks to using this method. as seen in production on our agency website here: https://thomasarts.com

You need to set the suck settings right and then also create a .htaccess file so that the urls of your site don't show .html at the end etc etc.

Message me and I'd be glad to help.

+1 for CMS content export please.

(I just found out its not possible via the limitations page).

I feel like I need to tell my client (who I'm half way building a blog for) about this limitation in the interest of honest-disclosure. The obvious concern for the client would be the feeling of being over a barrel – "you better keep paying cause you ain't going anywhere else now!"

I get people want the CMS on their own servers but doing so would be a support nightmare for Webflow - too many configs and giving the general public too much freedom is a recipe for disaster. People are careless with things they don't fully understand. Having it on the webflow side of things is optimal for them, especially when they're selling a product for non-coders.

It would be nice but I doubt it'll ever happen and if it does I'd put all support on the user if I was Webflow. If you're comfortable setting up a database and on your server are asking for this because you don't want to pay extra for Weflow hosting than you might as well just get one of those ultimate Wordpress themes and use that for the rest of your career. lol.

When a client wants re-assurance that they can move their site to a different system I design the templates on static pages first. This way you can export and use those templates with other systems.

Hi, I can't seem to private message you, but you say you can help setup site sucker so it can download the entire webpage aswell as CMS as static.
I would very much like your help with that.

email me at james@mastermindesigns.com

I do the same... regardless of where it is hosted I provide static versions of all pages to clients. The then only issue is exporting/copying data from dynamic pages/collection if they want to move from the webflow CMS to another service (which I haven't run into yet).

Hi! I think this feature is really needed. Right now i'm designing a big website and i'm doing it all in a static way because we don't have this really useful option.

I have similar thoughts... It's a pain if I ever want to export a clients site and put it on another host, if I've built it using the CMS.

Agreed. Really need to be able to export CMS site. Would be very convenient for archiving.

Any news about it?

I just wonder if this is something that webflow think to do or not.

If we could make the exporting CMS content available by the July 1st deadline that would be awesome as it would allow designers the option to maintain price-points for designs that are currently being sold to market if they could find a comparable CMS host that was closer to your older price-point of $10 monthly hosting. Thanks in advance.

Background: I currently sell a design that is called the Artist ONE and we provide Design, Hosting, & Website Management all for a set price of $19.95 a month through your client billing and add the site owners on as administrators.

This is possible right now, if you don't mind getting your hands a little dirty. It's not automatic at all but using the API, you can batch import collection items using Zapier, which I wrote about here:

No reason why you couldn't do the same in reverse for export! Happy to answer any questions; feel free to DM me.