First Webflow to Webhook CMS Project!

Webflow CMS definitely has its place but for some projects Webhooks or Wordpress are more appropriate in my opinion.

Having seen a couple other discussions on this forum I’ve been testing Pinegrow as a way to convert Webflow sites to Wordpress and it is very impressive. The principles are the same as Webhooks, except with Wordpress you’re working with php instead of js.

For me there are a few different tiers of sites:

Basic static site where the client needs to make occasional edits: Use Webflow. Either make the client’s edits for them or use surreal cms so they can make basic edits themselves.

Intermediate site: Dynamic site where the client needs to edit the site / post new content semi-frequently (around once per month, perhaps). Use Webflow CMS.

Large / complex site: Dynamic site with multiple users and frequent updates from the client. Design the site in Webflow, but convert it to Wordpress or Webhooks.

I appreciate that Webflow CMS could be used for very large projects, but for me there are too many risks and the pricing doesn’t work.

Even for intermediate sites, if you can get your workflow down so that you can convert a Webflow build to a Wordpress site quickly enough, it could be worthwhile doing Wordpress instead. 20 clients a month paying me $10 for hosting instead of Webflow adds up to quite a bit of income over the space of a few years. Yes Webflow CMS does remove some of the headaches that come with Wordpress, but it adds a few as well.

3 Likes

I understand your issues too.

The pricing system for Webflow isn’t really engaging you to host more sites on Webflow, unfortunately.

I’ve tried to move a Webflow website to WordPress, but my experience with WP is limited, especially when I need CMS functions. I tried a demo of Pinegrow last week, but it’s just complicated.

Anyway, I’m hoping Webflow will spend more time on the CMS users!

Pinegrow does have a bit of a learning curve, but once you understand the power it gives you to easily create a wordpress site from a static html site (like Webflow) it really is worth the time investment.

You should definitively try Webflow + Webhook. This is the easiest way to setup a CMS on a Custom Webflow Template. The Webhook documentation is awesome and the programming language, Twig, is popular.