Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Free Plan vs Paid Performance

Would the designer performance and speed be effected by which plan I am on? Slower for free and smoother for Paid?

The designer seems fairly slow to me .... even after I've deleted all photos on it.

Page switching and tab switching lags for a while before changing.

Designer view is same for both free and paid plans, and is dependent on your computer specs and internet connection, and how many styles, collections your project has.

I would like @thesergie / @callmevlad to confirm that there are no end user performance / priority differences between free and paid plans.

There should be no difference for free vs paid plans. At the moment we only have item/page/etc limitations, not performance limitations.

Thanks for the confirmation. It really doesn't make sense to 'throttle' performance when you are trying to grow a product user base.

Yes, thanks for the confirmation @thesergie.

@samliew You said

I have an expensive laptop and my current wifi connection is 30mbps download, so I don't think those would be an issue. Anyhow, my current project does need lots of pages (all 100 once I upgrade to pro) and each is to be uniquely designed but sharing global classes.

Therefore, I am worried that with the performance of the designer on a free plan is already not so great, knowing that there is no difference on a paid plan that allows 100 pages makes me worry even more.

Can anyone reassure me on using webflow and provide some personal experience?

Thanks

Expensive is a subjective word. Why don't you share your specs?

Okay @samliew, here you go:

Total amount of system memory: 8.00 GB RAM
System type: 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores: 4
Total size of hard disk(s): 930 GB
Display adapter type: AMD Radeon HD 8610G
Total available graphics memory: 4204 MB

My computer is similar to yours, but is running Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, and starts to lag when the project starts to get huge (over 500 styles and 800+ elements, on at least 10 pages). Perhaps you can try upgrading the RAM.

Oh, is your device a laptop or desktop?

Also, would type of browser effect the performance as well?

I asked my friend who introduced me to Webflow and she told me her average sites are at least 2.2 gb .... because they're fairly large, at that point the designer is very hard to use, therefore she just uses webflow to do prototypes now.

Can you share the majority size of your projects?

Thank you for the help.

Desktop. Also, I'm on a 200mpbs internet connection, but I'm using wifi.

Hey @Elidia Webflow is optimized for Google Chrome & Safari. Have you tried running Webflow in Chrome in Incognito mode? (Just in case your extensions may be causing an issue).

She's doing something wrong... what on earth would make the 'average' site come close to 2.2GB. :scream:

All content should be scaled to the dimensions of the containers they belong in.
All content should undergo compression as not everyone has fast internet.

I repeat... you are doing something wrong if your site is over 100 megabytes (this is my rule of thumb, hell my sites are 10 megs). Please elaborate why a site would be so big. I'd like to see a client view a site thats 2.2gb big....

In South Africa, with our terrible internet speeds, you may as well come back the next day (or even next week) to download that much :grimacing:

While staying on topic, I have used Webflow with no trouble on Low-Mid Range Laptops and have even tested it on an old Intel Celeron processor with 2GB RAM.
Webflow is fast! faster than any other 'online designer' out there

Hi, I am running Webflow on a lot of HW and there is no issue whatsoever.
If you are having performance issues, there could be five possible issues:
1) your project is done horribly wrong
2) see 1)
3) see 2)
4) see 3)
5) your project is done horribly wrong.

Great page with 100 different sites (if you need 100 different sites, then your project is done horribly wrong) could and should be less than 20MB after exporting; and this is very free approach to calculate the size; could even be less than 2MB easily.

I would be more than happy to privately review your friend's project and tell you, where could be the source of problem. She (?) could be using lot of unneccessary graphics, thereofore draining memory allocated for the browser.

Learning class and style naming convences and mechanics may be hard in the beginnings, but it pays off in a long run. Keep an eye on workshops provoded by Webflow and you will be introduced in designer's hall of fame in no time, champ!

J.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried to use incognito mode, but the results are the same. :frowning:

@aidz and @jarda

I am not sure why it's so big either, therefore I gave her a call. She told me that is the size indicated on the site settings page, under Total Asset Size. It includes fonts, styles AND backups ... so maybe that's why it's so high ... the site itself probably isn't.

Though, her sites are usually at least 80 pages and very graphic heavy because they are either big eCommerce enterprise sites for retail or photographers. Once it reaches over 80 pages the designer does start to lag.

I asked her if she's compressed the photos she said she does. Though, a lot of her design consist of special and complex effects ... eg. 3D transform ... therefore that could be one of the reasons.

Back to me ... I am starting over again on my project and there seems to be no more issues whatsoever. :smiley:

After doing some research, I had a feeling that it had something to do with the numerous class bugs that were reported numerous times on this forum. Because I use a lot of global classes to organize css and webflow does not encourage that,thus the bug prevented me numerous times from removing, renaming and combining the classes.

I would now be extra careful.

Thanks @Aidz, @jarda, @samliew and @Waldo for offering reassurance, project review, guidance and help.

Much appreciated.

Tip: You can reduce project size by creating a clone, then deleting the old one. This will allow your project to start from zero backups. I'm not sure if you need this though. Any image you upload should already be resized down to the exact size you are going to display it for, and then optimized (try Photoshop "Save for Web", then followed by an image size reducer like jpegmini.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.