Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Google Core Web Vitals

As some of you might know, there’s quite a significant Google Algorithm update coming in 2021 called the Google Page Experience Update.

To summarise, Google will look at three areas to do with your website that will affect ranking:

• Largest Contentful Paint (LCP)
  • First Input Delay (FID)
  • Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS)

If you haven’t yet noticed, there’s a new ‘Core Web Vitals’ section in Google Search Console.

While it’s been said the Google Page Speed tool isn’t the best to use, it seems like now we need to take more notice of how Google sees the speed and overall performance of our websites.

Running a test in Lighthouse, I am consistently getting these errors:

Properly size images - I was under the impression that while we as users had to upload low file size, high quality compressed images, Webflow would then resize them into a variety of sizes and load the best one based on the browser. If that’s the case, why isn’t Google seeing this?

Eliminate render-blocking resources - I am not a developer (hence why I chose Webflow) but this one if baffling. It’s essentially saying my CSS file is too big, but as a Webflow user, how can I make it smaller?

Then there’s all this other stuff I am not familiar with:

Has anyone got any tips on how to fix these issues so I can get ahead before the update arrives?

Edit: Particular website I am analysing in this case is: https://www.luxurytraintickets.com/

3 Likes