Google Fonts and DSVGO (GDPR)

Hi,

the EU privacy protection recommend that companies should install Google Fonts at a local server. Is this possible with webflow?

thx
toby

Has anybody read this message?

I don’t see why not more then likely you will just need to find the fonts you use and add them as assets on your server. I know you should be able to find google fonts via them. I believe they use google fonts as they are open to use. This would mean your fine. you will just need to figure out how to point to your said asset IE font. This is the only part am not to sure of. The real question does webflow house said fonts themselfs (I don’t think they do I think they just point to them.) If they point to them it’s coming from an address. if you can find said address down load it to windows. Then figure out where to house it in webflow directly. then when you export to your new server this should add the font to your new server. if they can’t do this yet you may need to work around it by doing this step yourself. I am not to sure how to do so but no it is for sure possible and the people here at webflow forms are super great. it may take a little time to get to your question but am sure someone with more knowledge will chime in.

I am sure it will sort itself out. I feel for all you guys in the EU right now what a pain.

Nathan

You can upload any custom font that you have the right to use: https://university.webflow.com/article/custom-fonts

Yes I know. But that means that ich must change and control all my Styles and I must search a font and, and and… I think I do nothing and push my impress in the right way. I’ll see.

Just Download the Font from Google and upload it as custom font

Hi, thanks

if you download the google fonts regular through the google fonts website there are only truetype fonts in the download folder. but there is another possibility. Check this following link. There you can download any google font as .woff e.g.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Toby

Hmm, I’m not a lawyer, bu we don’t use a local server as for this Google font thing, we got this text part for the privacy policy area from a lawyer service in Germany.

Google Web Fonts
For uniform representation of fonts, this page uses web fonts provided by Google. When you open a page, your browser loads the required web fonts into your browser cache to display texts and fonts correctly.

When you call up a page of our website that contains a social plugin, your browser makes a direct connection with Google servers. Google thus becomes aware that our web page was accessed via your IP address. The use of Google Web fonts is done in the interest of a uniform and attractive presentation of our website. This constitutes a justified interest pursuant to Art. 6 (1) (f) DSGVO.

If your browser does not support web fonts, a standard font is used by your computer.

Further information about handling user data, can be found at Frequently Asked Questions  |  Google Fonts  |  Google for Developers and in Google’s privacy policy at https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/.

1 Like

Just because there exists text blocks from the erecht24 generator or something similar doesn’t make the use of google fonts complient. Btw. if you use erecht24: Soeren Siebert (owner) has advised against the use of google fonts in the internal members area. The text block exists if you are ok to accept the risk. If an attractive presentation is a legitimate reason to use google fonts in terms of “justified interest” will be decided by the courts in the next years. Until than: there is a risk in using any third party request which goes outside of the EU especially to google services.

hey, how have you done with the fonts? was it necessary to do a restyling of each text? greetings