Google reCAPTCHA in Webflow Form

Is it possible to integrate [Google reCAPTCHA][1] in a Webflow Form?

I’m working my way through their [documentation][2], but in order to determine whether it’s possible, I’ll have to be educating myself about how forms work on the server side as I go. I figured I’d also ask here in case anybody already has the background knowledge to answer this question.

I’m familiar with [this thread][3] where @pastiwibawa kindly provided a way to incorporate a radio button-based test. I’m looking into Google reCAPTCHA for further security.

Thanks!
[1]: reCAPTCHA
[2]: https://developers.google.com/recaptcha/docs/start
[3]: http://forum.webflow.com/t/form-captcha-is-this-possible/1160

I haven’t done it yet, but I figured that you could just make a series of buttons that need to be clicked in order to display the submit button, that’s what I thought of doing. :slight_smile: #ProveYourHumanity haha. Let me know if you’d like and I can whip up a cloneable form one pager to show you what I mean :slight_smile:

If I’m understanding you correctly, my question is more specific than you’ve taken it to be. I’m not looking for a way to create a CAPTCHA within Webflow. I’m asking if it’s possible to implement Google’s reCAPTCHA widget on a Webflow site. The one that works like this:

Hi @Grant, thanks for taking the time post on this. If you can get the widget code that is generated and share that, it will be easier to give you some info :slight_smile: It should work in an embed widget: Custom code in head and body tags | Webflow University

If that does not work, there may be other ways to integrate it. :slight_smile:

Hey @cyberdave, thanks for your response. This is the Webflow site where I’m setting this up. Here’s a screenshot of Google’s setup instructions:

The client-side integration is easy as pie. I’ve put the script in the head via Custom Code in site settings and the div in an embed block in the form. It’s showing up and you can click it, but (1) you can submit the form without even touching the widget, and (2) I haven’t set up the POST request to communicate with the URL they provide. (Though I did write my first few lines of PHP yesterday.)

What’s losing me is the serve-side integration. Their instructions for server-side integration are here.
Also, there’s a Google official Github repository for this service that provides two php files. I’m in the process of figuring out what exactly they’re for and how to use them.

I could be completely off here because I’m new to this backend stuff, but I think that in order to make this work with Webflow, one would have to write a form-handler PHP file and link to that file in the Action field of the form settings. If I’m not mistaken, that would override the Webflow defaults and you’d have to do the rest of the form handling in that PHP file (emailing results to the site admin). Which would be a lot more hassle. It would be great if Webflow can still handle the form the way it does, but require the user to pass the captcha test.

Thanks for reading all the way down here. Your time and effort are much appreciated! :blush:

Hi @Grant, the server side integration for that is not available yet on Webflow side. It sounds like you are going to need a custom mail script to process the post messages for google recaptcha and that part we just do not have made yet.

We are working on our own captcha integration with forms, but we have not server side integration with forms currently :-/

I wish I could give you better news on this. As soon as we have an update to captcha, we will announce it in updates :slight_smile: Design Responsive Websites - Webflow

1 Like

Okay, thanks @cyberdave! Is there any sort of ETA on internal captcha integration?

Hi @Grant,

No firm ETA yet, but we know about the issue, so expect changes on this :slight_smile: Great new updates coming soon :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.