Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Google Site Verification: What happens if site previously verified?

The existing “Google Site Verification” page offers straightforward info for creating a new site. Documentation / best practices / issues to be aware of for previously verified sites moving to Webflow would be helpful. I’m about to move a previously verified site and unsure if that verification will hold or if re-verification will be needed.

Thank you for considering this request for future documentation updates.

Hi @ColleenBrady,

If your slugs will stay the same, then you shouldnt. If you are adding new pages to your Webflow project then yes.

You can use the same Site Verification code from the old site for the new Webflow Project. It will keep when you have and just connection to the new one.

Make sure to upload your new sitemap as well.

Also, if your page slugs will change, make sure to update your 301 redirects as well.

Please let me know if you have any other questions,

~ Happy Designing ~

@WebDev_Brandon - Thank you. I do have a mix of new, old, and obsolete. The integration of the 301 editor has been very helpful as part of this process as is the sitemap generator.

I don’t remember how I verified the site previously – possibly via DNS or else a file on the server. Thus far, I haven’t found it. Google says the site is verified and if there is a way to see the code, I haven’t found it yet.

I’m looking forward to going through these final steps and making the project live.

@ColleenBrady,

Within the new Search Console for Google there are 4 ways to verify.

I use two of them.

1. Google Analytics
  2. Google Tag (this is like 30+ characters long) and I add this to the “Google Site Verification” space under the SEO Tab of Project Settings. Ill publish then hit the verify button on Search Console.

That should do it for you.

@WebDev_Brandon - Thanks! I did look at my DNS settings and see that was what I had originally done via a TXT record. From looking at themigration documention, looks like I can leave TXT records alone. :slight_smile: I’ll keep your suggestions in mind for another project that is in the works.

1 Like

@WebDev_Brandon - Got a bit impatient and pushed my site live even though there are pieces undone. Process was quick and easy. Thanks again for your help!