Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Google Vision API and Webflow

I am trying to see if I can use external API’s(like Google Vision) in webflow or what the process for that would be like… Any tutorial link or anything along those lines would be great!

Thanks!

I’ve had a read through the Google Vision API documentation to see how this works and it seems that this is intended to run server side - on this page there is only documentation for back end languages. From what I can make out, you would need to configure your own back end then make your Webflow site talk to this.

I am more familiar with other Google APIs such as maps, calendar, admin. Depending on what you’re trying to achieve and with which API, yes it is possible to connect to the Google APIs directly from your Webflow site.

There are 3 methods you can use to connect to Google APIs; API key, service account, and OAuth. Let’s exclude OAuth as this relates to letting users give you access to some of the account data, and it doesn’t sound like this is your goal.

Generally speaking, you would not use the service account method client side as this is insecure. You would need to expose private keys publicly.

The most common way to talk directly to a Google API directly from the front end is to use the API key method. However this does limit what you can actually do. For example, the Google Calendar API will allow to you read a calendar’s freebusy information with a simple API key, but to create a calendar event you need to use a service account.

So really it depends on what you’re trying to do, and which Google APIs you need to talk to. I made a video series a while back which demonstrates connecting a Webflow site to the Google Places API. It might not be exactly relevant to your situation by may provide some wider understanding.

Hope that helps and happy to discuss further if you need to.

Jason

Thank you so much Jason!