Streaming live at 10am (PST)

“Hide Empty Elements” doesn’t collapse extra space

When laying out in the Designer, clicking “Hide Empty Elements” will hide an empty DIV’s bounding box, like it should, but those (empty) DIVs will not collapse into nothing like they once did. The large space makes it difficult to finesse the elements’ spacing.

I have created a GIF. (Those DIVs in the GIF should be collapsing down.)

Cheers, guys!

Hi, that's odd... unfortunately the gif is too small for me to understand what happens.

Do you have a sharing link I can check?

1 - On your site's dashboard click the Share icon:

2 - Generate or Copy the link:

3 - Then edit your post here and paste it inside.

https://preview.webflow.com/preview/reportite?preview=8100b6d9f37f185b40aa7dcfc91e207d

press on demo link
press on scheduled reports in the top nav bar
scroll down to the bottom of the form you'll see two buttons - save and
delete. if you view source you'll see their tags dont have name properties.
I need to be able to set those properties on such buttons.

Thanks,

I couldn’t figure out how to edit my original post. But, here’s the link: https://preview.webflow.com/preview/alpha-e066f3?preview=9832f45dfeee06ea78938cb94c34ceef

I’ve made a table-type element mid-way down, where it is most noticeable, where some div blocks should be shrinking down after I “hide elements”. (They used to collapse like normal). On publishing, however, things are normal and fine when viewing in Safari. It’s just a glitch in the Designer. Thanks for the look-see. Cheers.

OK I understand.

I've never used this feature of hiding empty elements. Never needed to. So I don't fully grasp what it's made for. I don't know if that should be classified as a bug or if it's intended.

Maybe the feature is only meant to say "Hide the default boundaries given to empty elements". I think it does... if you give a class and a bg color to one, it's still showing up, but it's empty... the feature really is "Hide default boundaries of un-dimensioned elements" Those dashed boundaries only apply to some elements to warn you that they don't have dimensions or content to set their dimensions, and that they'll vanish on publish.

Hi @TylerDunlap

Thanks for posting about this. We are looking into it now and will have a solution soon.

For now, as a workaround, if you'd like to collapse the elements you can give them a class name and set them to display: none.

We will post here as soon as we have a solution! :slight_smile:

Hi, Vincent. For sure. Webflow conveniently gives form to empty, undefined divs, so that we know they are there and where they are, but, hiding them in earlier versions of Webflow gave the user a better impression of what the final product will be, without viewing a published site (or even clicking the Preview).

Brando, terrific. Needless to say, I think your company of people do fine work. My friends are sick of me talking enthusiastically about Webflow, a product I really enjoy using. Kudos to your tribe and its chief.

Cheers, all. —T

Ah sorry, I forgot/ignored that it was possible before.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.