Streaming live at 10am (PST)

How can I use a large BG Video file?

Hey guys,
I am trying to create a band website and want to upload a background video however is there any way to up the upload file size limit like on a c panel for example as 30MB or does any one have any suggestions what format is best to compress it down as its already MP4.

Thanks.

0 Likes

If you want a background video bigger than the Webflow limit you would need to host somewhere else and add it through custom code. Although I wouldn’t suggest this because you’re making your site to heavy to load.

0 Likes

Hi Aaron yes I suspect I would I may have to just go with an audio player the video in question is 30.2 MB which is quite frustrating lol.

Thank you for you advice.

1 Like

I will preface this by I haven’t tried this yet because I am on the free account. If you can add custom code and link to an outside source then use a service called Cloudinary https://cloudinary.com. They use a super fast CDN and depending on how many hits you get the service is free. On other sites I use them and it is actually faster than having the image on the site because they check for the device and serve the best fastest version needed.

0 Likes

Yeah that does sound handy lol

0 Likes

Hey @Denis32,

General rule of thumb for BG videos is under 4-5 MB and even that is pushing it. I found a great article on compressing BG videos for the web.

You don’t need to be running full HD 1920x1080 for BG videos. It’s recommended you do a 1280x720 and then run it through compression software like Handbrake.

Here is a great article about it compressing for Web BGs:

0 Likes

Hey Austin
Yes normally that would be case however in this instance the the content is just an image with audio done in abobe premier it’s for a band and it’s a full track so that’s why is so large looping would not work in this instance as they want the track playing when fans view the site

0 Likes

@Denis32, If it’s just an image and audio… You could technically hide a looping audio player behind and image in webflow using custom code. It shouldn’t be a 30mb file for just audio and an image.

You’d basically upload an image and host the audio somewhere embed a hidden audio player that loops the track. Your audio file should be way smaller.

0 Likes

Yeah true I’ll probably just code an audio player they sent it to me as a complete file so I guess they will have to send me the image and Audio separately.

Thanks for your advice Austin

1 Like