How do i remove template and keep hosting

I’d like to rebuild my webflow website without the template I initially used, how do I remove the template and start again while keeping the hosting that I’ve just paid for?

There’s no way to “remove” a template from a project. If you’re redesigning your site the best you can do is to do the redesign in another project and once you’ve finished you go to your first site and cancel the subscription on it and add a new subscription to the new site.

When you do this and cancel your current subscription if you paid annually or monthly for it you’ll get a refund for the time not used.

You can always send and email to support@webflow.com to get help about hosting and subscriptions.

fantastic, thanks for that

1 Like

It’s a little messy, but you can build your new website by adding new pages, but only link it to itself, so you cannot go back and forth from new pages to old pages. Once your done building the new version, just delete the old website pages so only the new pages remain. Then you can put the new home as your “home” and now you have replaced the old website without having to switch over hosting. Again, it’s a bit messy, but doable.

1 Like

Aaaayyyyye I owe you a burger :hamburger::hamburger: I will try that

1 Like

Also - as @aaronocampo said - contact support to see if there are any one-off workarounds they could do…you never know

Spoke to support, no workaround, they suggested starting a new project and getting refund. but I think @chuzzweb suggestions seem the best way forward

1 Like

I tried deleting the page and it works however the template credit still goes to original template used.

I have a similar question. Is there a way to add a template to an already-existing project?

Hi Brea! See the following:

The tl;dr is yes – cross-site copy-and-paste is available and functioning, though you may run into issues with class names. Please note that if you’re taking from a template, you must have the template in your Dashboard – you cannot copy-and-paste from read-only links.

Let me know if that helps!

I agree with @mattvaru on his suggestions. Honestly if you want to add a new template, it would be way easier to simply start a new project in my opinion.

1 Like

This is also very strange… if i build a site, customise the template for 80% i want to be able to copy my work to the next client. Not possible if you started with a template. Highly highly strange and another showstopper. Wish i knew this before buying Webflow licences

This is an interesting point I hadn’t considered…

I had an existing client come to me just last week (knowing that we now used Webflow) and had found a UI template he liked. I have yet to go back about this project as it’s a few months away…

So any elements, even custom created, inside the project cannot be copied out?

The brief look at the template I saw made me think we’d use about 20% of the elements in there because it was so comprehensive - can the other elements be removed from the project when we’re finished and the template reinstated when we want it? My concern was around the vast amounts of unused CSS the site would have, but Webflow wouldn’t see it as unused as a page would technically still exist for it. I initially thought about having a project just for the whole thing, and copy out the pages we need to another project and clean it up from there. Guess that’s not an option… Have I maybe misunderstood how templates will work?

It would be really good to know of any other limitations people have experienced too.

I am just starting out… but my philosophy is to create one great site with some hidden pages with other basic elements on there. And then with a new project, to duplicate the entire project and start from there. This is not possible (As far as i know) since bought templates can’t be duplicated.

It seems the top commenter says that you cannot remove a template, yet I am being denied a transfer of my site to another user because of this very reason.

This should that there must be a way to somehow disassociate a site from the template it was based on.

Looking for any help.

That sounds like a different problem.

Does the site show a TEMPLATE indicator like this? If so you need to go into the site’s settings, and disable the template from the bottom of the General tab.

That section looks like this;