How Much Would You Charge?

Hello everyone! I hope all is well.

Let’s say that you started using Drag and Drop Builders, like Webflow, to make websites for clients. Many clients like these because they know that they won’t have to fiddle with code to make simple changes. I know that making websites using templates will be much cheaper than creating one from scratch.

But let’s say that you use Webflow to design a website from scratch starting with only the “Body.” How much would you charge? (Hourly and Total Price)

Leave your answers below and be sure to… subscribe?

1 Like

Hello @MinewireNetwork :)

Well… everything depends on your experience using Webflow. After over 2 years of using it + my Webflow Plugins experience I have my rate set at $80/h which is a lot. On the other hand I can do things much faster than most people + I add some nice self-written plugins to Webflow Project to make it even more dynamic and outstanding.

The price for a project can vary from as little as $400 for a very simple website up to $10.000 for a complex one + maintenance + custom scripting or even conversion to CMS! Usually, I try to think how many hours do I need to make a specific website and depends on the amount of work and the final price I give a discount for entire project or not. So let’s say…

Let’s say my client wants to have a website that I know will need around 15h of my work (this is just a desktop version, remember!). I multiply 15h*$80 which gives me $1.200 for a desktop version. Then I think if I need to add some additional scripts (custom, self-written or implementation of libraries) and let’s say my client wants to have 3 scripts for which I need 3h for implementation. That gives me another $240. Now after the desktop version is calculated let’s write it down:

Website = $1200
Custom Scripts = $240
Responsiveness = +25%

I add responsiveness after everything because libraries mostly need to be responsive to different screen sizes as well. So the total gives me $1.800.

Now I know, that clients like to negotiate terms and price so I have a nice buffer of +-15%. People like discounts ;) But don’t push the price down too quick! Try to win an argument maybe by lowering the price but tell about hosting website on your webflow account. Maybe your client doesn’t want to deal with different hosting service? If you lower your price by 10% then say that you can even lower by 15% if they host it on your side + maintenance + 1h each month of fixes/changes for another $16/month.

Important notice!
Above is just a scenario that I came up from my head. Don’t blindly follow that but try to find your own way to start ;) For starters I’d suggest having a lower fixed price for a project but a hard value for small few-hours fixes.

Good luck :) Catch me at Skype if you need more advices!

Best,
Bartosz

5 Likes

That’s similar to what I do as well. Although, in my market I can’t run with that hourly price.

@bartekkustra What Webflow plugins do you use. Any you are willing to share?

It’s not that I have a fixed $80. If I know that I will work with a client on a long-term status I drop the price a lot. Also for projects I try to find a fixed price. Also you have to remember that I can deploy a working website in a day :)

@bartekkustra, you forget to mention that you are a Javascript guru. :wink: Which makes you more then the average drop-n-drag builder. You are actually able to make changes to functionality and give users more then Webflow ever could.

From my perspective, if you master all the Webflow functions, and can build sites like the stuff @craigteel makes. You can charge whatever you please, because it’s just damn good looking. But the common mistake people take into account is that there’s more to pricing then the quality of design or functionality of the webpage in the end.

It’s also a lot about communication, keeping deadlines, stick to what’s promised, think with and for the client, showing expertise, and in general being a nice guy/girl to work with. That upps any hourly price more then whatever you do with Webflow if you ask me.

Think of it this way: people come up to you for a reason. That means that either they like what you’ve made already, or people around you tell you can do stuff that they want. So, let’s assume you haven’t been bragging or lying, you can give them what you want at any price you see fit. If the product you make is unique and stands out (like a few people around here are able to do), make sure they reward it.

Good luck

2 Likes

I was thinking of starting a thread like this. This is cool for starters like me. Please where can we really source for clients and how? Maybe just a brief pointer.

@brilliantlights What exactly do you mean “source for clients?”

The best way to start getting clients is by doing stuff for free. The best marketing is word-of-mouth recommendations.

Start looking for people that need a website for free:

• non-profit organizations
  • churches
  • sporting groups
  • meetups
  • etc

Helping people out will (1) help you practice your skills and learn how to deal with clients and (2) people will appreciate it and will think of you FIRST when they hear that someone they know needs a website.

Also, design stuff for fun. Keep yourself busy even when you don’t have clients. Redesign a popular website, write about what you have learned when designing it, then have people critique it. It will help you practice your skills and also get your name out there more.

(My example of this: http://blog.webflow.com/redesigning-razerzonecom-for-fun-in-webflow)

In the end, it’s not really about finding clients, but making yourself stand out from other web designers so clients can find you. :wink:

Good luck out there!

6 Likes

absolutely - word of mouth is a major % of clients in this biz. “Nice new website Dave, who did that?”

i;d add, get your examples together and a few extra demos, then go out and canvas with a laptop! SME owners make decisions fast and alone. Target the sort of businesses who need websites (either dont have or have an old tired one), the local organic butchers, hairdressers, tyre centre, cake shop, flower shop, builders, solicitors etc etc.

1 Like

Thats one big great idea there PixelGeek, thanks.

what about freelance websites like fiverr, peopleperhour etc? any rule of thumb when using those sites?

i mean getting clients :smile:

1 Like

That’s also an option. But then you’ll be stuck bargaining on (hourly) rates. That’s something I’d always like to avoid. The discussion should be: “I’ll make you X and that cost you Y”, not “I can make you X in 2 hours, so that cost you 2xhourly rate”.

It’s a very common mistake made by starting entrepreneurs to calculate prices based on hourly rates alone. Sure, that’s the backbone of your price, but there’s two arguments why you shouldn’t work like that:

1. There’s always someone cheaper then you
  2. Most clients don’t understand how long it takes to make something. And you don’t want people thinking you are expensive. Example: I don’t know how to fix an engine. So, if I’m going to a garage and the guy says: “it takes 3 hours”, so that will be 300 dollars. I’m like: “wow, that’s a very expensive mechanic”. But if he would have said: “it will cost you 300 dollars”, i’m like, okay, I’ve got my engine fixed.

In other words: pricing should be about the final product or solution you make. Not about the hours it takes you to make it.

2 Likes

And as far as getting clients, @PixelGeek 's strategy will probably work. But it will cost you time that you are unpaid. I’d rather try to get my time paid, whatever the amount is.

So I’ve found the best option to just ask friends around me: “If you come across anyone that needs X will you send them to me? I’ll make sure they’ll get the best price for the result.”. And then manage expectations if someone comes asking.

Example:
Photography is a big hobby of mine. One day I heard someone say: “I’m looking for a wedding photographer”. So I jumped in and offered my services at the lowest price possible. (The cost of a weekend to France, paid by them) Remind you: I’ve never done it before, so that’s what I told them. “It’s my first, as its your first too.” :wink: Then, as I did it once, I told people about the fact that I photographed weddings. That’s been nearly 10 years ago and every one or two months I’m getting at least one request, without having a portfolio, without having a website.

1. Communicate what you do to people around you
  2. Seize the moment and be honest about what you do to your first client
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.